London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 35
Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.28pm
Zephyr wrote:
I'm interested in joining the Book Club, do you have room for one more? Also, are you still meeting this Wednesday? I have read the Jodi Picoult book, although I'm not a huge fan.
Hi Zephyr, there is always room for more people in the SE1 book club! Come along to the Britannia & ask Tim the pub manager where we are if you cannot spot the mound of Jodi Picoult paperbacks on the table.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 1.31pm
My vote goes for The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite.

Have finished the Jodi Picoult and the Alchemist - how good am I for once.

See you all tomorrow
Tuesday 9 March 2010 2.35pm
so its 2 for the god, 1 for lily and one for the daisy goodwin so far. looking forward to seeing all tomorrow night and with no parent's evening i shall be on time!
Tuesday 9 March 2010 2.53pm
Smashing choices boroughpaul, on Balance I'll go for Lily, but I think I'll read them all. Finished The alchemist (utter b**l*cks) am now reading the General.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 5.30pm
A God strolling for me.... Looks highly unlikely I will be able to make it however, too many deadlines looming.

Oh and Jackie - the fact that you don't like the book does not make it utter b**l*cks! Isn't one of the joys of a bookclub that you will read things you would normally not consider ;o)
Tuesday 9 March 2010 5.54pm
Thank you Tattie for you last comment, I do agree.

I would say or you like a book or you do not like it, or you can put it in that way, perhaps some people understand what the writer wanted to say and some others do not.
Always a point of view.
Tuesday 9 March 2010 8.21pm
I will go for God strolling for May.
Thanks to JonR for the up to date list. Great to see the wide range of books that we have read ( or perhaps not). I agree with Tattie and Sidi, it certainly has been a challenge, reading some of the books and one or two I have given up on, but an interesting discussion at The Britannia could sometimes encourage me to see another point of view.
Wednesday 10 March 2010 7.55am
Sorry, apolgies to all who feel defensive about the Alchemist...as you say, horses for courses. And indeed the joy of the book club is that I have read things I'd pass over...Jodi Picoult was a really pleasant surprise for one. And because I read rather quickly and am, sadly, so old as to be retired, I try and read extras, hence the General now, and all boroughpaul's choices sound so intriguing that I have ordered them all on Amazon.
Wednesday 10 March 2010 7.57am
I got "the god" particularly cheaply on Amazon and the so-called used copy looks as new.
Wednesday 10 March 2010 10.05am
boroughpaul wrote:
I got "the god" particularly cheaply on Amazon and the so-called used copy looks as new.

You bought God on Amazon - brilliant! All joking aside, I always look at used and new since there are some good bargains to be had there. Even with the 2.75 postage. I've only occassionally actually had a copy that was obviously read (it was only the faint cracks in the spine that gave it away) and have only once been in a position where I thought the discription of the condition was better than the book actually was!
Current: 11 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions