London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 35
Thursday 11 March 2010 11.35am
I missed the meeting last night, which is such a shame. Hope you guys had fun. Must make it there next time!

Re the book. Yes I do agree… I just skipped the recipe bits as well. I did not mind the details of the lawyer's issues. Ah and men - both of the husbands bailed on their partners when the going got tough!!! What's up with that!?:)
Thursday 11 March 2010 1.24pm
I found the moral dimensions in the book interesting, but there were so many of them. The Author told us just as much as was necessary to know about the protagonists, but I was leafing through the pages to see where Marin's real mother turned up, her story was shocking too. I guessed Willow was destined to have an untimely demise, the icy pond in the Garden, was a constant feature. Disappointed with the end, rather like the Stella Artois advert with the skating priests, very cruel. I do not like recipes in books, they were not a unifying theme in the book, just a distraction.
I did enjoy the relationship between Amelia and Willow, so the details of self-mutilation, bulimia and the whole description of O.I. were all the more powerful.
A good evening at The Britannia, lovely to see everyone.
Thursday 11 March 2010 1.53pm
It was fun to meet everyone last night.

If anyone wants more of the same from Jodi Picoult, 'My Sister's Keeper' has similar themes and I enjoyed it more than 'Handle With Care'. 'Perfect Match' also has similarities, although I was so unhappy with the outcome that I pretty much swore never to read another Jodi Picoult.

Anyway, I have both those books if anyone wants to borrow them. I think I also have 'The Alchemist' now, although I'm trying to resist opening my Amazon package until tonight.
Thursday 11 March 2010 5.56pm
Sorry I missed book club last night. A last minute work trip to North Yorkshire this week interfered with my social life! I can make 7 April.
Thursday 11 March 2010 10.35pm
JonR wrote:
(like trying to find out when SnB is :)

Aaaaargh ... I heard this from over on the SnB thread, young Jon. Any more rude comments like this and I shall have to knit you a balaclava with a reinforced mouthpiece to keep your comments and coughs away from the rest of us!!!!
Humph ...
Thursday 11 March 2010 11.36pm
For what it's worth, I thought the Marin element of the story was very relevant, especially in terms of her own mother - the idea that people's lives are ultimately impacted by whatever is the current legal practice at the time, e.g. legalised abortions etc, the acceptance of "wrongful birth" as a rationale for a lawsuit etc

Had the law been different at either of these two points in time then the story could not have happened the way it did.
Friday 12 March 2010 2.13pm
"A god strolling..." lots of copies on ebay for under 4. Currently about 6 copies for under 3 - bargain
Friday 12 March 2010 3.23pm
Got mine from Amazon at 0.01 + 2.75 postage. It's on it's way!
Friday 12 March 2010 4.00pm
so I've not finished yet, but let me get this right;
Sean leaves Charlotte, Robert(?) leaves Piper, Willow kills herself, Amelia suffers from depression, they win the case, but leave the cheque stuck to the fridge(?!)
and no one gets on the plane at the end.

sheesh, sounds like a terrible ending for everyone.
Friday 12 March 2010 4.45pm
i would have cashed the cheque
Current: 13 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions