London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 35
Thursday 18 March 2010 6.13pm
Great I'll be around for June book club, look forward to it.;
KO
Monday 22 March 2010 11.56am
Hey, I won't make April book club, thought The Alchemist was okay. Would be great to read the SE1 book for June book club and meet the author. Count me in. X
Monday 22 March 2010 12.20pm
yep, i'm up for that too. I just looked up the Penny Rudge book and the write-up makes it sound pretty funny, (reminded me a bit of Marina Lewycka's style, and incidentally she has another PB out now - We are all made of glue)

Book 'em Danno (sic, Jac!)
Monday 22 March 2010 4.07pm
I finally finished reading 'Handle with Care', so you can tell us what you thought Jackie ;)

I know that we've always said that you don't have to have read the book to turn up to book club, but I felt quite bad about stopping people from talking about it, just because I hadn't finished it.
So I'd like to suggest an informal 'guidline' that you don't have to have finished the book in question, but that we should be allowed to talk freely about the book regardless of who has or hasn't finished it.
This should mean that more people finish it, and that discussion is not stiffled due to people not wanting to know what happens after the point that they're at.
I'm probably the biggest offender at this, so hopefully it won't affect too many other people.
Jac
Tuesday 23 March 2010 9.21am
I have now confirmed with Penny Rudge and she will be attending our book club on 2nd June so "Foolish Lessons in Life and Love" will be the book for discussion on that day.

She proposes an informal approach with a short talk about herself and the book, followed by general discussion and any questions. So that should suit us well and should make for a good night.

Most of the new copies near the 5 mark on Amazon had gone by last night (I suspect to SE1ers quick off the mark) but there have now appeared a few used copies at around that price. Haven't been to any real shops to see how much they are there.
Tuesday 23 March 2010 10.41am
Penny Rudge's "Foolish Lessons in Life & Love" in paperback at WH Smith is 7.79 and in Waterstones it is 11.99, according to their websites
Monday 5 April 2010 5.19pm
well that's the alchemist read...my feelings will be made clear at wednesdays book club...
Monday 5 April 2010 9.58pm
See you in the Britannia pub on Kipling Street then from 7.30pm onwards ...
All welcome!
Wednesday 7 April 2010 4.58pm
juanita wrote:
See you in the Britannia pub on Kipling Street then from 7.30pm onwards ...
All welcome!

I'm also able to make it tonight so I'll see you there at 7:30...

Does anyone know if a table has been booked so as to avoid any potential 'grumpy man' scenarios like last time! ;o)

Jac, I'll bring along your copy of the Alchemist to give back to you!
Wednesday 7 April 2010 6.34pm
and its man u playing again tonight so the same grumpy geezer may be in situ!!
Current: 15 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions