London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 35
Thursday 8 April 2010 12.01pm
Great to see everyone last night - good turn out with 13 of us squished round the big table at the Britannia, nice & cozy!

In May, we will be discussing "A God strolling in the cool of the evening" by Mario de Carvalho.

I assume that the book club are meeting on Wed 5 May 7.30pm - hope everyone can make that date.
Thursday 8 April 2010 12.21pm
As Penny Rudge is coming to the Britannia to meet us on 2 June & discuss her book, we did not have to vote on a book choice last night.

At the May book club, we will need to select a book for July, though.

Last night, I made a note of current SE1 book club members and it appears that chustler is next to come up with 3 book titles which we can vote on at the May book club meeting.

The list is
alison
boroughpaul
chustler
connie
gwynaethva
jac
jackie rokotnitz
jonr
juanita
karen olsen
lazyi
mrs r
nomad
reli
sane james
sidi
tattie
zephyr

Have I missed anyone out?
Thursday 8 April 2010 12.26pm
Could not make it after all ;o(
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.37pm
had a great time last night - wasn't my fav. book, but good to talk about it with y'all....
Thursday 8 April 2010 9.51pm
Interesting discussion last night, it certainly made me think more about 'The Alchemist'.

I've just realised I can't make the May book club because I'm away on holiday... which is annoying, because I finished 'A God Strolling' last week.

I guess that'll teach me not to get too far ahead, or to think further ahead (the holiday has been booked for a while, so I could have worked this out sooner).
Thursday 8 April 2010 11.18pm
it was lovely to meet everyone yesterday and thanks for the welcome. looking forward now to be reading A God strolling....for May 5th.
Friday 9 April 2010 5.50am
So now I can say that I thought The Alchemist was a sickeningly trite piece of moralising...a bit like those books like The Celestine Prophesy which was a huge hit, and now this awful Eat, Pray, Love by Elisabeth Gilbert, another load of old....

Just finished The Help - absolutely GREAT!
Friday 9 April 2010 2.05pm
juanita wrote:
it appears that chustler is next to come up with 3 book titles which we can vote on at the May book club meeting.

Since I know I won't be at the July book club, would Connie or Gwynaethva want to swap places with me and nominate 3 books in May? I'd like to be around for the discussion of my nominated book choice.

Ta
Friday 9 April 2010 5.14pm
chustler wrote:
juanita wrote:
it appears that chustler is next to come up with 3 book titles which we can vote on at the May book club meeting.

Since I know I won't be at the July book club, would Connie or Gwynaethva want to swap places with me and nominate 3 books in May? I'd like to be around for the discussion of my nominated book choice.

Ta

I should be able to make the July Book club. However I can't make the May one because I'll be in Eqypt...

But I'm happy to suggest three books to people to choose from at the May one when I'm not there.

Connie, are you around for May/July?
Friday 9 April 2010 7.57pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
So now I can say that I thought The Alchemist was a sickeningly trite piece of moralising...a bit like those books like The Celestine Prophesy which was a huge hit, and now this awful Eat, Pray, Love by Elisabeth Gilbert, another load of old....
Just finished The Help - absolutely GREAT!
hey jackie...have had The Help on my bookcase since i bought in in CA last summer and will probably not get a chance to read it till summer hols, but looks good and glad i bought it! maybe a book club choice soon

also can report Daisy Goodwin not impressed with not being chosen as the book for May...she had said she would come along if picked.
Current: 16 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions