London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 35
Jac
Wednesday 6 January 2010 9.52am
New people are always welcome at our book club. Look forward to meeting you.
Friday 8 January 2010 2.45pm
New Year's Resolution:

I shall read the book for every book club I manage to attend in 2010 and will engage in at least 20 minutes of serious discussion about it ;o)
Saturday 9 January 2010 12.05pm
SaneJames' Book choices for March at last:

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson:

The Novel begins at a low point in Blomkvist's career as he loses a criminal libel case brought by a Swedish tycoon, the head of the powerful Wennerstrom Group, and faces a short prison sentence. His reputation is in tatters and the future of his magazine in jeopardy when he is called by a lawyer acting on behalf of a rival industrialist, Henrik Vanger. Vanger wants Blomkvist to find out what happened to his great-niece Harriet, who disappeared almost 40 years before, and suggests that the disgraced reporter uses the pretence of ghosting Vanger's autobiography as cover.

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

Charlotte O'Keefe's longed-for daughter Willow is born with osteogenesis imperfecta - a very severe form of brittle bone disease. If she slips she could break both her legs, and spend six months in a half body cast. After years of caring for Willow, her family faces financial disaster. Then Charlotte is offered a lifeline. She could sue her obstetrician for wrongful birth - for not having diagnosed Willow's condition early enough in the pregnancy to be able to abort the child. The payout could secure Willow's future. But to get it would mean Charlotte suing her best friend. And standing up in court to declare that she would have prefered that Willow had never been born...(takes place in the U.S.A.)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations is the story of the orphan Pip, writing about his life from an early age . People and places including Miss Haversham, Estella, Magwitch and London are central to the plot. The novel can also be considered semi-autobiographical of Dickens, drawing on his experiences of life and people.
The main plot of Great Expectations takes place between Christmas Eve 1812, when the protagonist is about seven years old and the winter of 1840.
Saturday 9 January 2010 2.09pm
The Professor has read all these Stieg Laarsson books and loved them...I'm not sure myself. But it certainly sounds better than Jodi Picoult. Gt. Exp....well, terrific book but is there anyone who hasnt read it? I've just finished the new Anita Shreve (Change of Altitude).
Sunday 10 January 2010 12.54pm
Hello
My vote goes for the Jodi Picoult book as am over half way through it and great read and makes you question what you would do in the same situation.
I have read Great Expectations far too much and would never ever read it agin as studied it at school - eurgh. But surprisingly Jon has never read it.
Jon's vote goes for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Catch up all soon
Carol (& Jon R) - from the suburbs!
Jac
Wednesday 13 January 2010 1.04pm
Well we need a few more votes to make a decision, which book we shall be reading in Feb for discussion at the march book club. Shall we set a deadline for voting of the this time next week?

My vote also goes to Jodi Picoult. A nice easy read. The books of hers that I have read are of the same ilk and some are better than others and whilst they might not be great literature they certainly can throw up some interesting moral questions which might make for interesting discussion.

Any potential new members please feel free to express your choice.

Sidi a word of warning it is your turn to short list 3 books for selection at the feb book club..
Wednesday 13 January 2010 2.33pm
My vote goes to Jodi Picoult as well.
Thursday 14 January 2010 8.30pm
and me...
the feb meeting (my first) coincides with a parents evening...what time is it acceptable to turn up if a little late?i can be there by 9 (i have read the book btw!)
Monday 18 January 2010 3.58pm
To anybody thinking of coming along to the SE1 Book Club who has not been before...

We are meeting on Wed 2 Feb (7.30pm onwards) at the Britannia pub, Kipling Street. The pub grub (including chips) is pretty good.

We usually select a book 2 months prior to the book club discussion. Therefore on 2 Feb, we plan to discuss "When I lived in Modern Times" by Linda Grant. Then we will vote for which book to discuss at the April book club. We take it in turns to nominate 3 titles and those who attend the book club meeting do the voting.

There was no January book club, so voting for March's book is done via this message board.

Clear as mud?!
Tuesday 19 January 2010 9.00am
Don't forget the rather delicious fish finger sandwiches.

Turning up at 9:00 should not be a problem
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions