London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 35
Jac
Monday 1 February 2010 8.55pm
juanita wrote:
What's the vote count so far?

Jodi - 5
Stieg - 3
Dickens - 1

and voting should have been over by now. Still waiting for Sidi shortlist to vote on on wednesday (although I know she can not make wed, she does know its her turn to shortlist)

If you are new and thinking of joining us and this all sounds confusing, dont let it put you off its simply because we are a bit behind in choosing books We are not normally this disorganized honest....well maybe a little

Meanwhile I have found best way for me to finish a book in time for book club - stay in cottage on own with no Mr Jac, no teen jacs and no TV, just log fire and snow on ground outside - the last 60 odd pages flew by. Look forward to discussing the book on wed.
Tuesday 2 February 2010 10.10am
SJ and myself should be there, I've just finished "When I lived in Modern Times" this morning. It is strange when you find that you have been to the exact spot that an author describes, we went to Nice last year for the first time and found ourselves in the very moving place where Evelyn met Leo. Down below the escarpment, a couple of people were sleeping rough behind a cardboard shelter at the entrance of the lift Tunnel at night and nearby we witnessed a woman screaming as a thief ran away into the town with her handbag.
Wednesday 3 February 2010 6.49pm
Somethings come up at work (grrrr) so I'm now not going to be able to make it to the book club tonight but I'll definitely see you next time and will have actually read the book! :o(
Wednesday 3 February 2010 6.54pm
Not to worry Gwynaethva - keep your eyes posted on the thread for the next book (should be confirmed by tomorrow at the latest) and we look forward to seeing you next time
Thursday 4 February 2010 7.35am
Cast of thousands at Book Club last night...perhaps we should take over the whole pub.
Sorry I wasnt stopping, as I said, was on mother duty. But good to see everyone and the book aroused a lot of comment which was great.
Thursday 4 February 2010 10.47pm
Had a great time, and really enjoyed the book... looking forward to the next one!
Jac
Friday 5 February 2010 10.06am
chustler wrote:
Not to worry Gwynaethva - keep your eyes posted on the thread for the next book (should be confirmed by tomorrow at the latest) and we look forward to seeing you next time

?? I thought it was the jodi picoult for discussion at next book club.

I will chase Sidi for her short list so we can get on with choosing the april book club book (which should have been decided on wed night).

After that we need to work out whose turn it is to shortlist the 3 books for the next book club so we are back on track.

I think we are at the end of the existing members choices (have i missed anyone?) . So that would mean we go normally go are back to the beginning of the alphabet, which would make new member Borough Paul the next person to shortlist 3 books.

If everyone agrees, then Borough Paul ideally you need post your 3 suggestions a couple of days before the next book club, all book should be readily available for less than 5 .
Friday 5 February 2010 10.51am
Jac wrote:
I thought it was the jodi picoult for discussion at next book club.
"Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult will be discussed next month by the SE1 book club. If it is Wed 3 March, then I cannot make it alas.
Friday 5 February 2010 11.52am
We can not make the 3rd either.
Friday 5 February 2010 2.28pm
Can I suggest moving March's book club meeting to Wednesday 10 March, please? Pretty please??
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions