London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 35
Saturday 6 February 2010 4.02pm
Hi all,

Was lovely to meet you all and already ordered the Handle with Care!

I am ok with moving the mtg to 10th if this is suitable for more people.

Also looking forward to seeing what Paul suggests for next month!

Best,
Reli
Saturday 6 February 2010 5.50pm
Handle with Care already downloaded to the Kindle.
Saturday 6 February 2010 6.30pm
Hi All,

I could not make it earlier and I can not attend next time neither, perhaps the one in April.

Will post the books tom - am in a rush again....

Have a great evening,
Sidi
Sunday 7 February 2010 9.10am
i have a few ideas...
Monday 8 February 2010 9.26am
Hi All,

below my choices for the book club.

Have a wonderfull week,
Sidi

My suggestions for the book club would be:

Gottfried Keller - The Governor of Greifensee

Gottfried Keller (1819-1890), one of the greatest German authors in Switzerland, was a confirmed bachelor, not by choice but by necessity. He had been in love several times, but all he received in return was friendship and respect. --- In The Governor of Greifensee, one of Keller's Zurich Novellas, the hero, Salomon Landolt, the noble and impartial judge and governor, hits upon the grotesque plan of inviting all his former sweethearts to a festival at his castle. The five ladies accept the invitation not knowing that the others would be there. They are sincerely glad to see their old friend again; for it was not he who had deserted or injured any of them, they all for one reason or another had rejected the hand of the worthy suitor. --- It was Keller's own experience. The novel is a fine example of Keller's humor and art of story-telling. The five love affairs of the governor are told with exquisite grace and subtle characterization.

Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

This is the magical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who dreams of travelling the world in search of a worldly treasure as fabulous as any ever found. From his home in Spain he journeys to the markets of Tangiers, and from there into the Egyptian desert, where a fateful encounter with the alchemist awaits him. With Paulo Coelho's visionary blend of spirituality, magical realism and folklore, 'The Alchemist' is a story with the power to inspire nations and change people's lives.

Ivo Andric - The bridge over the Drina

A book which beautifully describes the history of a small Bosnian town through the eyes of the ethnic Serbs (Bosnian Muslims play a very passive role in the book and Croats are barely mentioned in the book until the end and are generally referred to as 'migrants' to the area)

The book is focused on a bridge built by an Ottoman Pasha descended from the town who was taken away as a child, converted to Islam and intergrated into the Ottoman aristocracy. Not forgetting his place of birth he embellishes his home town with a bridge and small caravanserai that it may serve as a stop off point for the trade routes between Ottoman Hungary and Anatolia.

What makes this book special is its descriptions of the ordinary people of the town, and the life of the town over the centuries from Ottoman rule to Austro-Hungarian occupation.
Monday 8 February 2010 9.39am
Love the sound of the first book...I'll try the Keller.
Monday 8 February 2010 12.24pm
"The Alchemist" is a fantastic book - even if it does not get the vote, I would recommend that you all read it!
However I take it my vote does not count anymore, as I am leaving this country next week - good bye, and all the best for all of you! Hope you read plenty of interesting books in 2010.
Monday 8 February 2010 1.40pm
LisaJ wrote:
"The Alchemist" is a fantastic book - even if it does not get the vote, I would recommend that you all read it!
However I take it my vote does not count anymore, as I am leaving this country next week - good bye, and all the best for all of you! Hope you read plenty of interesting books in 2010.

LisaJ, your vote absolutely DOES count - we have various overseas and absent members who keep up with the reading and the gossip even when they're not with us in person. There is a small condition of course - you will have to carry on posting from time to time!

All the very best for the move back to Hamburg!
Monday 8 February 2010 3.09pm
My vote goes for Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist.
Monday 8 February 2010 4.35pm
Happy to read "The Alchemist" so that will get my vote.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions