London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 35
Monday 8 February 2010 8.02pm
i'm very intrigued to read Ivo Andric - The bridge over the Drina, so that one get's my vote.

The Alchemist is very good though, but I read that last year on someone's recommendation (Tattie??)
Jac
Tuesday 9 February 2010 9.26am
My vote almost went to The Bridge But on the ground of convenience (i have the book already waiting for me to find time to read it) my vote goes to The Alchemist.

Current vote tally =
The Governor - 1
The alchemist - 4 (including lisa j)
The Bridge - 1
Tuesday 9 February 2010 10.31am
hmmm...i thought i was shortlisting!! LOL
Tuesday 9 February 2010 2.27pm
Great choice Sidi, 2 votes for the Governor though from SJ and myself.

I think Sidi is the last on the current (alphabetic) rota with her book choices for April , so we start at the beginning for May's choice with BoroughPaul.
Tuesday 9 February 2010 3.09pm
boroughpaul wrote:

You are - for the May book club*

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to have a shortlist of three available for us to choose from and vote on at the March book club (not sure whether it's the 3rd or the 10th yet though)

Sidi's choice is for April, hence we're a bit behind and voting on line.

*I'm now going to use the disclaimer of "of course, I could be wrong" and then ask Jac to verify the actual situation, since she's always more clued up than me!
Tuesday 9 February 2010 3.53pm
Hi. I've also heard that The Alchemist is brilliant! So I'll vote for that one please! x
Tuesday 9 February 2010 5.25pm
I did not mention my vote which would be The Bridge.
Jac
Wednesday 10 February 2010 9.57am
chustler wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

You are - for the May book club*

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to have a shortlist of three available for us to choose from and vote on at the March book club (not sure whether it's the 3rd or the 10th yet though)

Sidi's choice is for April, hence we're a bit behind and voting on line.

*I'm now going to use the disclaimer of "of course, I could be wrong" and then ask Jac to verify the actual situation, since she's always more clued up than me!

Me clued up ... That's a matter of opinion.

But yes you are correct ...Paul can you post your shortlist on the forum just before the next book club and we will vote on the night.

updated tally
The Governor - 3
The Alchemist - 5
The Bridge - 2
Wednesday 10 February 2010 12.17pm
chustler wrote:
i'm very intrigued to read Ivo Andric - The bridge over the Drina, so that one get's my vote.
The Alchemist is very good though, but I read that last year on someone's recommendation (Tattie??)

It was indeed on my recommendation.... I want to read both The Governor and The Bridge as both sound really good. However, my vote will go to The Governor.
Monday 15 February 2010 12.01pm
I vote for The Alchemist.
Current: 7 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions