London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 35
Monday 15 February 2010 1.10pm
Is there Book Club this week?

(As an aside, I've undergone the experience that is the alchemist and found it to be possibly the biggest load of tosh I've ever come across. Just reading the author's name brings me out in shivers of revulsion. There's an interesting article about pirating his books in this quarter's Granta, though. I think people either love him or hate him. Which, I suppose, makes a good BC selection.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 February 2010 4.42pm
Book club usually meets once a month ... normally 1st Wednesday of the month, but at least 4 people (me included) can't make 3 March, so I think we are next meeting on 10 March.
Monday 15 February 2010 7.18pm
Thanks, Juanita.

Thursday 18 February 2010 7.36am
Ivanhoe! I posted yesterday but apparently it didnt arrive...are you returning to the fold of the Book Club? treat for us all! Also yesterday was in the middle today have fvinished the Jodi Picoult book...was surprised at how good it was and was totally unprepared for the ending. The beginning was so grim I almost stopped, but it got really gripping and the denoument was amazing. I could do without the recipes myself but...
Thursday 18 February 2010 10.40am
Mrs I and Baby I have been away this week, Jackie, so I was cheekily checking whether there was any book club action this week that I could quietly crash in on.

I've not been to the Brit in ages, and as well as everyone's company it would have saved me the need to cook. But I struggled through somehow ;0)

Thursday 18 February 2010 6.48pm
Hoping to come along to the next session, what's the book for March?

Cheers,

Matt
Friday 19 February 2010 7.32am
We're reading Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.
Jac
Friday 19 February 2010 10.34am
Have we finished voting yet? Its quite close.

The updated tally of votes now stands at
The Governor - 4
The Alchemist - 6
The Bridge - 2

I have nearly finished the Jodi book and like Jackie I am really enjoying it but
Jackie please be careful not to give too much away when you have finished a book before the book club, I would prefer to be surprised by an unexpected ending when I get to the end of the book, rather than be told in advance that and unexpected ending is coming.
Saturday 20 February 2010 2.23pm
Ah..but who knows what ending you expected? Maybe it's just the one you were thinking of!
Sunday 21 February 2010 4.18pm
I've just bought the book off amazon - really looking forward to meeting you guys on Wednesday the 10th.

Hopefully joining the book group will force me to read. A pleasure I tend to miss.

x
Current: 8 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions