London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2010

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 35
Wednesday 24 February 2010 10.03am
Just ordered from ASDA.com the Jodi Picoult book (Handle With Care) for 3.86 & Paul Coehlo book (The Alchemist) for 5.86 - no delivery costs. They did have Ivo Andric's book at 8.06 if anyone wants to read The Bridge as well.
Wednesday 24 February 2010 4.21pm
I just checked the prices again as I do not want to play against the rules of the book club.
Amazon offers "The Alchemist" for 3.99 and "The Bridge over the drina" 5.02 (sorry 2p more).

Jac I guess the book will be "The Alchemist" am I right there?
Friday 26 February 2010 11.27am
I thought we'd already decided on The Alchemist - it seems that most people thought that and have already gone ahead and got it.
Ivanhoe - it'd be good to see you at book club again, even thought we know you'll miss the next one as it's about that book by Paul Cello (oops, said his name, sorry).

I seem to recall that this book was mooted as a choice right back when we started the book club, and some poeple were very against it being picked, as they thought it was atrocious tosh (or something along those line), and it was either loved, or slated at the time in the reviews. We didn't pick it then, and I'm glad that it's come back round.

Jodi Piccault book is rather emotional, I've nearly cried twice already, and I'm only on the second chapter (and me crying on a bus reading chic lit, is not a pleasant site!)
Friday 26 February 2010 12.32pm
It's not chic lit JonR, I was confounded too.
Sunday 28 February 2010 6.59pm
its growing on me...wasnt at all impressed to begin with as its so not my usual type of book but i am getting into it now
Monday 1 March 2010 8.00am
Exactly boroughpaul, that's what I felt. The firs thirty pages or so almost made me throw the book away, but I'm very glad I persevered. It has a lot of what we Eng; Lit. academics would call generic themes.
Sunday 7 March 2010 3.31pm
I'm interested in joining the Book Club, do you have room for one more? Also, are you still meeting this Wednesday? I have read the Jodi Picoult book, although I'm not a huge fan.
Sunday 7 March 2010 6.09pm
thats it handle with care read...now just to clarify...i bring three titles to The Britannia on wednesday and we have a vote for the may book??
Jac
Sunday 7 March 2010 11.13pm
Yes Paul but it is helpful if you can post your three suggestions here first with a short summary and/or reason why you have suggested them. That we we can think about it a bit before hand. Voting takes place at the book club.

New members always welcome it is a very informal club so numbers are not restricted. If you are not sure where we are in the pub ask at the bar and they will point you in the right direction.

From 7.30pm although I have yet to get there before 8pm. if you come straight from work you might like to eat there many of us do and the food is pretty good value for money
Monday 8 March 2010 8.39am
I'm the ever absent reader, but have the Alchemist AND the Governor with me. When can I post my review of Handle With Care without spoiling the fun of Book Club this month?
Current: 9 of 35

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions