London SE1 community website

SE1 Book club 2014

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Wednesday 7 May 2014 9.50pm
Hi Emma,

Thanks for your lovely message! Unfortunately I couldn't make it as didn't get back in time after an appmt but hope to see you in June :)

Nina
Thursday 8 May 2014 4.44pm
a select gathering, Jac, Rik, Una, Mike, Jamie, Emma and myself - discussed the book, and other things.

chosen book for July was the first on the list - Ballard, Concrete Island.
Jac
Tuesday 3 June 2014 1.02pm
The next meeting of the book club will be tomorrow Wednesday 4th June at The Bridge House Bar on Tower Bridge Road from 7.30pm

The book to be discussed
Once were warriors

Hairy Hill to shortlist the next 3 books

And as always everyone welcome so if you have been thinking of joining us do come along and introduce yourself
Wednesday 4 June 2014 1.00am
ok, here are 3 choices for August:

1) The Quiet American - Graham Greene

"I never knew a man who had better motives for all the trouble he caused," Graham Greene's narrator Fowler remarks of Alden Pyle, the eponymous "Quiet American" of what is perhaps the most controversial novel of his career. Pyle is the brash young idealist sent out by Washington on a mysterious mission to Saigon, where the French Army struggles against the Vietminh guerrillas.

As young Pyle's well-intentioned policies blunder into bloodshed, Fowler, a seasoned and cynical British reporter, finds it impossible to stand safely aside as an observer. But Fowler's motives for intervening are suspect, both to the police and himself, for Pyle has stolen Fowler's beautiful Vietnamese mistress.

Originally published in 1956 and twice adapted to film, The Quiet American remains a terrifiying and prescient portrait of innocence at large.

2) The Chrysalids - John Wyndham

In the community of Waknut it is believed mutants are the products of the Devil and must be stamped out. When David befriends a girl with a slight abnormality, he begins to understand the nature of fear and oppression. When he develops his own deviation, he must learn to conceal his secret.

3) A Foreign Country - Charles Cumming

On the vacation of a lifetime in Egypt, an elderly French couple are brutally murdered. Days later, a meticulously-planned kidnapping takes place on the streets of Paris. Amelia Levene,†the first female Chief of MI6, has disappeared without a trace, six weeks before she is due to take over as the most influential spy in Europe. It is the gravest crisis MI6 has faced in more than a decade. Desperate not only to find her, but to keep her disappearance a secret, Britainís top intelligence agents turn to one of their own: disgraced MI6 officer Thomas Kell. Tossed out of the Service only months before, Kell is given one final chance to redeem himself - find Amelia Levene at any cost. The trail leads Kell to France and Tunisia, where he uncovers a shocking secret and a conspiracy that could have unimaginable repercussions for Britain and its allies. Only Kell stands in the way of personal and political catastrophe.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 10.39pm
A good book club night in the shadow of the football - with Jac, Clare, Wendy, Jamie & myself. Rik making a late appearance and voting by proxy.

Book choice for August is The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
Jac
Thursday 5 June 2014 9.51am
Next book club 3rd July same time and place.
Discussing - Concrete Island
Wednesday 18 June 2014 3.06pm
Ooh, I like Concrete Island. Just given my copy away...

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 19 June 2014 6.05am
Gosh Ivanhoe! Where have you been? Are you and Mrs Ivanhoe still among us or have you migrated to the leafy suburbs?
Thursday 19 June 2014 4.01pm
Always here, Jackie. Always here.

Social time has been a bit crowded out, though, so I haven't been to any SE1 things in a long time.

Book club never really worked well for me as I tend to read quickly...and then forget what I've read just as quickly...so by the time the discussion came up I'd have read the book, moved on to something else, and not be best placed to discuss.

Hope you're well.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 21 June 2014 10.13am
Indeed...never mind the book, try and come to the August meeting which I shall grace with my presence having been away FAR too much this year and MISSING SE1 BADLY!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions