London SE1 community website

SE1 Book club 2014

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Sunday 22 June 2014 2.21pm
Might try to.

I think that Concrete Island is being done as a radio play on R4 at the moment, if anyone's interested.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 22 June 2014 9.48pm
Yes, just heard it's on R4 extra tonight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02y0wpp
Tuesday 1 July 2014 11.54am
Jac wrote:
Next book club 3rd July same time and place.
Discussing - Concrete Island
can I confirm that book club are meeting on Wednesday 2 July, which is tomorrow evening?
Jac
Tuesday 1 July 2014 11.10pm
juanita wrote:
Jac wrote:
Next book club 3rd July same time and place.
Discussing - Concrete Island
can I confirm that book club are meeting on Wednesday 2 July, which is tomorrow evening?

Oh well spotted next book club is indeed tomorrow wednesday 2nd July and not the 3rd of july as i mistakenly posted. It is always on the 1st wed of the month. Im due to shortlist and will try post tomorrow before book club
Jac
Wednesday 2 July 2014 9.50am
Book club is TONIGHT at the Bridge House Bar from 7.30pm.

New members welcome if you have been thinking of coming along but have not read the book this month come along anyway and meet us you can join in the book discussion next month.

Tonight we will be discussing Concrete Island. The book for next months meeting is The crysalids by John Wyndham.

we will also choose one of the following books tonight for discussion in September.

Oranges are not the only fruit - Jeanette Winterson
The particular sadness of lemon cake by Aimee Bender
The Colour of milk by Nelly Leyshon

Oranges are not the only fruit
Jeanette, the protagonist of Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit and the author's namesake, has issues--"unnatural" ones: her adopted mam thinks she's the Chosen one from God; she's beginning to fancy girls; and an orange demon keeps popping into her psyche. Already Jeanette Winterson's semi-autobiographical first novel is not your typical coming-of-age tale.

Brought up in a working-class Pentecostal family, up North, Jeanette follows the path her Mam has set for her. This involves Bible quizzes, a stint as a tambourine-playing Sally Army officer and a future as a missionary in Africa, or some other "heathen state". When Jeanette starts going to school ("The Breeding Ground") and confides in her mother about her feelings for another girl ("Unnatural Passions"), she's swept up in a feverish frenzy for her tainted soul. Confused, angry and alone, Jeanette strikes out on her own path, that involves a funeral parlour and an ice-cream van. Mixed in with the so-called reality of Jeanette's existence growing up are unconventional fairy tales that transcend the everyday world, subverting the traditional preconceptions of the damsel in distress.

In Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Winterson knits a complicated picture of teenage angst through a series of layered narratives, incorporating and subverting fairytales and myths, to present a coherent whole, within which her stories can stand independently. Imaginative and mischievous, she is a born storyteller, teasing and taunting the reader to reconsider their worldview.

The Colour of Milk is the new novel by Orange longlisted author and playwright Nell Leyshon.

'this is my book and i am writing it by my own hand'

The year is eighteen hundred and thirty one when fifteen-year-old Mary begins the difficult task of telling her story. A scrap of a thing with a sharp tongue and hair the colour of milk, Mary leads a harsh life working on her father's farm alongside her three sisters. In the summer she is sent to work for the local vicar's invalid wife, where the reasons why she must record the truth of what happens to her - and the need to record it so urgently - are gradually revealed.

The particular sadness of lemon cake by Aimee Bender

On the eve of her ninth birthday, Rose Edelstein bites into her mother's homemade lemon-chocolate cake and discovers she has a magical gift: she can taste her mother's emotions in the slice. All at once her cheerful, can-do mother tastes of despair and desperation. Suddenly, and for the rest of her life, food becomes perilous. Anything can be revealed at any meal.

Rose's gift forces her to confront the truth behind her family's emotions - her mother's sadness, her father's detachment and her brother's clash with the world. But as Rose grows up, she learns that there are some secrets even her taste buds cannot discern.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake is about the pain of loving those whom you know too much about, and the secrets that exist within every family. At once profound, funny, wise and sad, this is a novel to savour.
Wednesday 2 July 2014 12.02pm
Great list. I have read the first two so I'd go for Lemon Cake.
Thursday 3 July 2014 9.37pm
What was the choice for September's book club?
Jac
Thursday 3 July 2014 10.49pm
juanita wrote:
The colour of Milk (No changes from when you where there Juanita.)

Next book club is Wed 6th August at the The Bridge House. from about 7.30pm. Discussing The Chrysalids

I have booked the tables for the first wed of each month until the end of the year so there should not be a problem with getting a table in the future.

Lovely to have a new person join us this month and as always new members always welcome just come along and introduce yourselves.
Tuesday 8 July 2014 10.54am
Jac wrote:
juanita wrote:
The colour of Milk (No changes from when you where there Juanita.)

Thanks Jac, just checking as I left early & you were keeping the voting open for any latecomers.
Sunday 3 August 2014 5.49pm
OOops, at VERY short notice I have been told it's my turn to suggest the books (for October I guess). I've chosen three with a "medical" theme;

a) ME BEFORE YOU by Jo Jo Moyes. This is, in my view, a very courageous book, inasmuch as tackling the subject of assisted suicide is a bold move. The book is far from maudlin, it follows with humour and humanity the relationship between a young woman and her "charge", a high flying alpha male who has been rendered quadriplegic. The debate about the value of life as a disabled dependent person is gracefully and charmingly dealt with.

b) THE MIDDLESTEINS by Jami Attenberg. A very funny, all American story of an all American family, with one problem which influences an enormous range of other factors in life - that is the increasing obesity of one of the characters. Again, not every author would be brave enough to throw this topic into an otherwise very jolly narrative...but it is dealt with with enormous tact and sympathy..while being a rattling good family saga.

c)THE DAUGHTERS OF MARS by Thomas Keneally: The story of two sisters from the backwoods in Australia who volunteer as nurses in the First World War. This is a deeply moving and extremely exciting novel of the experiences of two simple girls who have never really left their small homestead being thrust into a world of bases, troop ships, travel to all corners of the globe where their services are needed, and meantime following their personal lives of love, loss, friendship and devotion. Thomas Keneally ever the master.

I read all three with delight and highly recommend any one or all three!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions