London SE1 community website

SE1 Book club 2014

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Jac
Thursday 4 September 2014 9.27am
In complete comparison to last month, last nights was a small and select meeting of the book club. Welcome Emma we hope you liked it and will see you again next month.

The voting on the books was a tie so Lucy had the casting vote and the choice for November discussion is

The Human by Matt Haig

Next meeting will be wednesday 1st October at The Bridge House Bar on Tower Bridge Road from 7.30pm we will be discussing
You before me Jo Jo Moyles

Hope to see you there.

Una S to shortlist the next 3
Wednesday 10 September 2014 10.35am
Hi, is anybody in the SE1 book club interested in meeting Kate Mosse, the author? She is book signing at the Horniman Museum, Forest Hill tomorrow evening. The entire evening looks very interesting actually.
http://www.horniman.ac.uk/visit/events/kate-mosse-talks-taxidermy-at-the-horniman
Tuesday 16 September 2014 6.55pm
Can't believe I managed not to put the date in my diary! Sorry I missed it. Noted for 1st October - should do better this time. See y'all there.
Thursday 25 September 2014 10.45am
Hi, I would be interested in coming along to the November or the December one if that is alright. Bit late to try to read the October one.
Monday 29 September 2014 8.54pm
Shortlist for Wednesday:

1) Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found
Cheryl Strayed

Selected to be read on Radio Four's Book of the Week.

'One of the best books I've read in the last five or ten years... Wild is angry, brave, sad, self-knowing, redemptive, raw, compelling, and brilliantly written, and I think it's destined to be loved by a lot of people, men and women, for a very long time.' --Nick Hornby

At twenty-six, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother's rapid death from cancer, her family disbanded and her marriage crumbled. With nothing to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life: to walk eleven-hundred miles of the west coast of America - from the Mojave Desert, through California and Oregon, and into Washington state - and to do it alone. She had no experience of long-distance hiking and the journey was nothing more than a line on a map. But it held a promise - a promise of piecing together a life that lay in ruins at her feet.

Strayed's account captures the agonies - both mental and physical - of her incredible journey; how it maddened and terrified her, and how, ultimately, it healed her. Wild is a brutal memoir of survival, grief and redemption: a searing portrayal of life at its lowest ebb and at its highest tide.

2) We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
Karen Joy Fowler

Rosemary's young, just at college, and she's decided not to tell anyone a thing about her family. So we're not going to tell you too much either: you'll have to find out for yourselves, round about page 77, what it is that makes her unhappy family unlike any other.

Rosemary is now an only child, but she used to have a sister the same age as her, and an older brother. Both are now gone - vanished from her life. There's something unique about Rosemary's sister, Fern. And it was this decision, made by her parents, to give Rosemary a sister like no other, that began all of Rosemary's trouble. So now she's telling her story: full of hilarious asides and brilliantly spiky lines, it's a looping narrative that begins towards the end, and then goes back to the beginning. Twice.

It's funny, clever, intimate, honest, analytical and swirling with ideas that will come back to bite you. We hope you enjoy it, and if, when you're telling a friend about it, you do decide to spill the beans about Fern - it's pretty hard to resist - don't worry. One of the few studies Rosemary doesn't quote says that spoilers actually enhance reading.

Shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2014.

3) Rebecca
Daphne Du Maurier

The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives--presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.

Excellent entertainment . . . du Maurier created a scale by which modern women can measure their feelings. (STEPHEN KING)

The two words most commonly used in descriptions of Du Maurier's all-time classic are 'haunting (and 'magical'. Both are accurate.')

GOOD BOOK GUIDE ('I am reminded of how profoundly du Maurier changed the way I felt about myself, how she engaged and excited me with her writing.')

The DAILY TELEGRAPH ('As a new generation of readers are introduced to the wicked housekeeper Mrs Danvers and learn Maxim de Winter's terrible secret, this chilling, suspenseful tale is as fresh and readable as it was when it was first written, more than 60 years ago.')
Monday 29 September 2014 9.32pm
I'd go for Wild because I've read the other two...
Wednesday 1 October 2014 4.51pm
Hi, not sure that I'll be able to make it tonight but will be at the November meeting.
Una
Jac
Wednesday 1 October 2014 10.53pm
Another small gathering of the book club and the choice for December is
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
Karen Joy Fowler

Next meeting will be wednesday 5th November at The Bridge House Bar on Tower Bridge Road from 7.30pm we will be discussing

The Humans by Matt Haig

Wendy to shortlist the next 3

For a change we will be considering booking a table for a meal for the December meeting any suggestions for a venue welcome.

As alway this is not a closed book club so new members are always welcome.
Monday 20 October 2014 9.45pm
Was hoping to come around in October and even read the book but didn't make it. November is also looking highly unlikely... But I hope to be there in December...
Jac
Wednesday 29 October 2014 4.04pm
Next book club is bonfire night anyone planning on coming along or are you all off to firework displays and the like?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions