London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Monday 29 June 2015 11.58am
Jac wrote:
From August onwards we will be meeting on the 1st Monday of the month.

What book is being discussed on Monday 3 August?
Jac
Tuesday 30 June 2015 6.11pm
juanita wrote:
Jac wrote:
From August onwards we will be meeting on the 1st Monday of the month.

What book is being discussed on Monday 3 August?

It has not yet been decided. will post here when it is
Jac
Tuesday 30 June 2015 6.35pm
The book club will be meeting tomorrow 2nd July at The Rose Weston street/Snowfields. I've booked a table from 7.15pm for Jacqui(couldn't book for 7.30pm)

Look forward to seeing you again NatLondon

Short list for August book below:

London Rain by Nicola Upson -

May, 1937, and London prepares to crown a new king.

Bestselling writer Josephine Tey is in town to oversee a BBC radio production of her play, Queen of Scots - but adultery, treachery and pent-up jealousies stalk the corridors of Broadcasting House.

At the height of the Coronation celebrations, Detective Chief Inspector Archie Penrose is called in to investigate the murder of one of the BBC's best-known broadcasters. A second victim - his mistress, and the play's leading actress - suggests that the motive lies close to home, but Josephine suspects that the killings are linked to a decade-old scandal.

With Archie's hands tied by politics, and his attention taken by another, seemingly unrelated death, it is left to Josephine to get to the truth. As her relationship with Marta Fox reaches a turning point, she is forced to confront at first-hand the deadly consequences of love, deceit and betrayal.

Rich in the atmosphere of coronation London and the early days of Broadcasting House, the sixth novel in Nicola Upson's 'Josephine Tey' series sets an audacious, deeply personal crime against the backdrop of one of the most momentous days in British history.

Bleeding London by Geoff Nicholson
Mick is on his way to the Smoke from the provinces. He's got six guys to find with only their names to go on and no more help than the phone book and an A-Z. Stuart is determined to walk each of the capital's roads, streets and alleyways. But what will he do when there's nothing left of his A-Z but blacked out pages? Judy is set on creating her own unique map of each of the metropolis' boroughs . . . an A-Z of sex in the city.

Three strangers in search of London's heart and soul, mapping out their stories from Acton to Hackney, Chelsea Harbour to Woolwich, in a comic dance of sex and death.

Walking the lines - The London underground overground by Mark Mason

The only way to truly discover a city, they say, is on foot. Taking this to extremes, Mark Mason sets out to walk the entire length of the London Underground - overground - passing every station on the way.

In a story packed with historical trivia, personal musings and eavesdropped conversations, Mark learns how to get the best gossip in the City, where to find a pint at 7am, and why the Bank of England won't let you join the M11 northbound at Junction 5. He has an East End cup of tea with the Krays' official biographer, discovers what cabbies mean by 'on the cotton', and meets the Archers star who was the voice of 'Mind the Gap'.

Over the course of several hundred miles, Mark contemplates London's contradictions as well as its charms. He gains insights into our fascination with maps and sees how walking changes our view of the world. Above all, in this love letter to a complicated friend, he celebrates the sights, sounds and soul of the greatest city on earth.
Wednesday 1 July 2015 8.22am
I will be there at 7.15pm to get the table. See you all later.
Jac
Thursday 2 July 2015 12.40pm
The next book club will meet on Monday 3rd August at 7.30pm and the book to be discussed will be Walking the lines - The London underground, overground by Mark Mason

Venue to be confirmed (by Grange lady)

Next book shortlist Katysharp
Friday 24 July 2015 8.55am
What do you think of trying the Royal Oak? There's an area with sofas and a table in the back bar. They serve fairly ordinary food but have a good array of ales.
Jac
Sunday 26 July 2015 6.18pm
Happy to try the Royal oak, its a nice pub. Have just realised that I have managed to double book Monday the 3rd so Mr Jac and I will not be able to make it as we are going to the theatre. Who can do the 3rd ?
Monday 27 July 2015 8.21am
I can do 3rd, but am happy to postpone for August if that works out better for everyone.
Monday 27 July 2015 2.33pm
I can do the 3rd, but equally happy to change the date
Tuesday 28 July 2015 5.18pm
I can do 3rd, so that's 3. It would be nice to do the book justice with enough book club members.
What about postponing by a week to 10th August? I know that Nat can't make either date) Or until the 7th Sept?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions