London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Wednesday 29 July 2015 8.21am
Happy with either 10th August or 7th September. Just let me know which so I know when to post the books for the following month. Need to get thinking about that.
Wednesday 29 July 2015 2.48pm
Whoops - just realised I can't do 3rd after all. I'm guessing 7th would technically be the next bookclub. 10th August fine to, but it will leave only 3 weeks to read the next book. I realise that should not be an issue, but I have found time is in particular short supply these days
Jac
Thursday 30 July 2015 1.04pm
Think it is probably best to postpone the book club until next month.

The next one will be Monday 7th September at 7.30pm at The Royal Oak. (Grange lady can you reserve a space nearer the time if possible). Katy to short list books.

So there will be no excuse for us all not to have finished the book and those faster readers who have done so already can catch up on some of their other reading wish lists.
Thursday 30 July 2015 9.56pm
Will get the October book club choices up over the weekend if I can. Know we don't have a theme but is helping me formulate thoughts. More time to read works for me. Looking forward to seeing you all in Sept.
Thursday 6 August 2015 10.49am
Going with a Netherlands theme for October 2015 suggestions:

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed ...On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman knocks at the door of a grand house in the wealthiest quarter of Amsterdam. She has come from the country to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt, but instead she is met by his sharp-tongued sister, Marin. Only later does Johannes appear and present her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in unexpected ways ...Nella is at first mystified by the closed world of the Brandt household, but as she uncovers its secrets she realizes the escalating dangers that await them all. Does the miniaturist hold their fate in her hands? And will she be the key to their salvation or the architect of their downfall? Beautiful, intoxicating and filled with heart-pounding suspense, The Miniaturist is a magnificent story of love and obsession, betrayal and retribution, appearance and truth.

On a brisk autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives in Amsterdam to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt. But her splendid new home is not welcoming. Johannes is kind yet distant, and leaves Nella alone with his sister, the fearsome Marin.

Nella's life unexpectedly changes when Johannes presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. To furnish it, she engages the services of a miniaturist?an elusive and enigmatic artist whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in eerie ways.

Johannes's gift helps Nella pierce the closed world of the Brandt household. But as she uncovers its unusual secrets, she begins to understand?and fear?the escalating dangers around them. Only one person seems to see the fate that awaits them. Is the miniaturist the key to their salvation...or the architect of their destruction?

Tulip Fever - Deborah Moggach

The Amsterdam of the early 17th century has been forever immortalised by the serene, precise domestic realism of the canvases of Vermeer and Rembrandt, and has been studied with meticulous care by Simon Schama in his marvellous book The Embarrassment of Riches. What Schama identified at the heart of the opulent display of conspicuous consumption in Dutch still-life painting was an anxiety about wealth and owning commodities. This ran throughout 17th-century life in the Low Countries, an argument beautifully complemented by Ann Pavord's marvellous book on The Tulip.
Deborah Moggach's novel Tulip Fever gives both Schama and Pavord's studies a compelling fictional twist. Set in 1630s Amsterdam, it begins with a typical Renaissance love triangle: a wealthy, elderly merchant Cornelis Sandvoort, his beautiful but frustrated young wife Sophia and the painter who enters their life, Jan van Loos. Commissioned to paint the happy couple's portrait, Jan becomes embroiled in a series of emotional and financial speculations which are to change the character's lives forever. Tulip Fever is a delightfully conceived story which offers a new dimension to what really goes on within the apparently placid domestic interiors of such canvases.

The Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier

The Dutch painter Vermeer has remained one of the great enigmas of 17th-century Dutch art. Whilst little is known of his personal life, his extraordinary paintings of natural and domestic life, with their subtle play of light and colour, have come to define the Dutch Golden Age. The mysterious portrait of the anonymous Girl with a Pearl Earring has fascinated art historians for centuries, and it is this magnetic painting that lies at the heart of Tracy Chevalier's second novel of the same title.
Girl with a Pearl Earring centres on Vermeer's prosperous household in Delft in the 1660s. The appointment of the quiet, perceptive heroine of the novel, the servant Griet, gradually throws the household into turmoil as Vermeer and Griet become increasingly intimate, an increasingly tense situation that culminates in her working for Vermeer as his assistant, and ultimately sitting for him as a model. Chevalier deliberately cultivates a limpid, painstakingly observed style in homage to Vermeer, and the complex domestic tensions of the Vermeer household are vividly evoked, from the jealous, vain, young wife to the wise, taciturn mother in law. At times the relationship between servant and master seems a little anachronistic, but Girl with a Pearl Earring does contain a final delicious twist in its tail. Chevalier acknowledges her debt to Simon Schama's classic study of the Dutch Golden Age, The Embarrassment of Riches, and the novel comes hard on the heels of Deborah Moggach's similar tale of domestic intrigue behind the easel of 17th-century Dutch painting, Tulip Fever.
Saturday 15 August 2015 7.21pm
Hi all, am back in London, will see you on September 7th to discuss Walking the lines and pick one title from Katy's selection.
Thursday 27 August 2015 9.21am
What do you think of trying the Royal Oak? There's an area with sofas and a table in the back bar. They serve fairly ordinary food but have a good array of ales.
Wednesday 2 September 2015 8.05pm
I've booked an area in the bar from 7.30 Monday 7th at the Royal Oak, Tabard St. Under my name. See you there.
Jac
Saturday 5 September 2015 9.45pm
Thanks Grange Lady, Mr jack and i will be there. See you monday
Monday 7 September 2015 5.14pm
Am really sorry - do not think I will be able to make it this evening. Going to be a long night at work. Hope you all have a good evening. Katherine
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions