London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2015

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Monday 7 September 2015 9.10pm
And the winner is: the Miniaturist
Thursday 10 September 2015 7.02pm
Hi all, now that we have decided we would read and discuss the Miniaturist in October, here are three titles for you to ponder on for the November session:

Theme: the time - and space - travelling book club
1. The white tiger, by Aravind Adiga
Meet Balram Halwai, the ‘white tiger’: servant, philosopher, entrepreneur, murderer…
The novel provides a darkly humorous perspective of India’s class struggle in a globalized world as told through a retrospective narration from Balram Halwai, a village boy. Adiga details Balram's journey first to Delhi, where he works as a chauffeur to a rich landlord, and then to Bangalore. The novel examines issues of religion, caste, loyalty, corruption and poverty in India. Adiga says his novel "attempt[s] to catch the voice of the men you meet as you travel through India — the voice of the colossal underclass." According to Adiga, the exigence for The White Tiger was to capture the unspoken voice of people from "the Darkness" – the impoverished areas of rural India, and he "wanted to do so without sentimentality or portraying them as mirthless humourless weaklings as they are usually."

2. The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Diaz
Meet Oscar de Leon, aka Oscar Wao, a ghetto nerd living with his Dominican-American family in New Jersey. He’s disastrously overweight, keeps falling hopelessly in love and dreams of becoming the next Tolkien. With Oscar, travel across generations and continents, from his mother Beli’s tragic past in the Dominican Republic, to his and his stunning sister Lola’s struggles and dreams in suburban America. This is the wondrous story of unforgettable Oscar, his family and their search for love and belonging. A multi-facetted journey through a family’s personal story and a country’s troubled History, across generations and the geography of their migration – and back again, narrated with an irresistible, manic energy.
‘Both a big picture window that opens out on the sorrows of Dominican history, and a small, intimate window that reveals one’s family’s life and loves.’ New York Times

3. Leo the African / Leo Africanus, by Amin Maalouf
Meet Leo the African, a historical Renaissance-era traveller. Al-Hasan ibn Muhammad al-Wazzan al-Fasi, aka Leo the African, was an Andalusian Berber Moorish diplomat and author who is best known for his book Descrittione dell’Africa (Description of Africa) describing the geography of North Africa. He wrote notes for a future autobiography but never got round to writing the real thing. Never mind, Amin Maalouf fixed that for us and wrote this imaginary autobiography!
Amin Maalouf’s book offers a vivid description of the Renaissance world, with the decline of the traditional Muslim kingdoms and the hope inspired by the Ottoman Empire, as it grew to threaten Europe and restore Muslim unity. It is based on life experiences which took Leo Africanus almost everywhere in the Islamic Mediterranean, from southern Morocco to Arabia, and across the Sahara.
Leo’s life journey starts in the late 15th Century, in Granada during the catholic Reconquista, then moves on to tolerant and welcoming North Africa, the beginning of many exciting adventures.

They are very different books, I've loved them all. I hope you enjoy them too!
Nat.
Thursday 17 September 2015 10.09pm
Hehe, just realised I sounded a bit enthusiastic there... I am aware we will vote for one title only and we / you aren't expected to read all three - though I would recommend you do but that's another story!
Friday 18 September 2015 12.49pm
One thing at the time.... Haven't even started the miniaturist yet ;o)
Thursday 1 October 2015 9.23am
Have we decided on place and time for Monday? Looking forward to it - hoping I don't get stuck at work this time.
Sunday 4 October 2015 8.12pm
Will it be The Royal Oak again?
Sunday 4 October 2015 8.20pm
Yes, I've booked a bar area. Apparently they do have a room upstairs that we could take a look at some time, but for now we have a bar booking for 7.30.

See y'all there.
Jac
Monday 5 October 2015 9.59am
Have to find a bit of time to complete the book today but Mr Jac and I will be there as near to 7.30 as we can. I think while our numbers are low we should stay in the bar as it's more social but the upstairs room may be of interest.

As always new members are always welcome so if you want to join us come along.
Monday 5 October 2015 10.06am
Finished the book and will be there 7:30ish.
Tuesday 6 October 2015 3.00pm
We will return the book club to the first Wednesday of the month, meaning that the next one will be on Wed 4th November, 7.30 at the Royal Oak in Tabard St. (but double check back here beforehand in case there has to be a change). The absence of music makes it a really good pub for discussion!

We will be discussing Leo the African / Leo Africanus by Amin Maalouf.

For those interested, it means we can get to... :
on the first Monday of the month Tate's free community films: http://www.tate.org.uk/about/projects/tate-modern-project/community/tate-modern-community-film-club

Billing for Monday 2 November 2015 is Genevieve (1953).
It’s time for the annual London to Brighton antique car rally, and Alan McKim and Ambrose Claverhouse are not going to let their friendship stop them from trying to humiliate each other.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions