London SE1 community website

Playing Bridge in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Friday 27 May 2005 2.29pm
I reckon it's more of a bidding book that you might want than a cardplay book, Plum. Perhaps (excuse my boldness in suggesting) a basic standard English Acol book might be good. It's a reasonably natural system, so it would put you in pretty good stead to play socially. It has minimal conventional bids (other than a weak no trump) in most non-slam contracts.

I'd lend you mine (which cost the princely sum of less than a fiver from the nice shop called something like "The Bridge and Chess Shop" on the Euston Rd. They will send books by post and postage is minimal), but I have to keep picking it up and revisiting bits all the time myself as I can't quite get it to stick in my little brain.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 31 May 2005 5.45pm
no we didn't play.
but I'm still looking forward to next time.
'Acol for begginners' (can't remember the exact title etc) is a good book, you can get it from the Compendia game shop in Greenwhich Market (or probably any good book store).
Tuesday 31 May 2005 6.10pm
So, it's going to happen on 16 June. Useful to know who plans to come, and at what time. We have two round tables which should be suitable, but would need to borrow a third if there will be more than six, excluding us. Can provide some food and drink. And, tables permitting, am happy to extend the invitation to lurkers.

Used to have a beginner's Acol but it disappeared about 7 house moves ago. It sounds like others are getting serious. Are we playing for anything?

Sarah
Friday 10 June 2005 10.45am
Any takers for 16 June. Otherwise it looks like a game of patience for me.
Friday 10 June 2005 2.16pm
Sorry Sarah. Forgot about bridge. I'd love to come, and could make any time after about 7:30 - 7:45. If you're coming tonight, then we can talk about it then perhaps?

...if you press it, they will come.
Jon Robinson
Friday 10 June 2005 4.21pm
yes, yes, and yes, June 16th!
Tuesday 14 June 2005 5.20pm
I'd be really keen to play if you need an extra player ever......
Tuesday 14 June 2005 5.23pm
is it still on?!?!
Wednesday 15 June 2005 5.48am
Yes. Will PM you, Margs and Ivanhoe. Anyone else? 8.00?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 June 2005 5.57am by sarah2.
Wednesday 15 June 2005 6.52am
Unfortunately I'm still feeling really poorly so I'll have to give it a miss this time (wouldn't want to give you all my lurgie) but I'm definitely up for next month. Have a great time!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions