London SE1 community website

Poker in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14
Tuesday 17 January 2006 2.19pm
And what game(s) do you want to play, for how long and with what stakes? I might be able to find another interested party, if we agree some basic details.

(Sorry for all the questions)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 1.34pm
poker, all night and money.

and now for the none faceatious answer!

Probably texas holdem (is most likely, though it's up to the host), and probably a good three or four hours, and it's usual to have a set limit and 'buy' chips at the start (say 20). Either you each have your own colour, and then buy back your chips at the end (so you might have spent 40) from whoever has them, and sell chips that arn't your colour back. or you can keep chips for the next time you play.

i would suggest a Friday, or Saturday night being a better option (but am open to other days).
Thursday 19 January 2006 5.10pm
Fridays or Saturdays work for Tony as well
Monday 13 February 2006 4.54pm
I'll match your Friday night.
Monday 13 February 2006 5.06pm
A friend told me of what (imho) sounded like a good way to play simple, low stakes poker.

They got a lot of chips and divided them equally between all the players at the start of each session. A player pays, say, 10 for their chips (10 being a number determined by how much you want to play for, rather than the number of chips to hand). If you have a lot of chips, then the game goes on for longer, but the cost is still the same.

You set a time limit on each game (say 1 or 1.5 hrs. Enough so that you can play a few games in an evening, and so that if you go out early in the game you aren't hanging around with nothing to do for ages). The game ends either when the time limit runs out, or when one person has won all the chips. Winner takes the total of everyones' stakes (or, if you hit the time limit and there are two or three players still left in the game), then whoever is left in splits the total stake money in the proportion of the number of chips they are left with in relation to the total number of chips that you started off with.

What I particularly like about this (thinking about how useless I'm likely to turn out to be) is that if you go out you can still look forward to another game eventually.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 12.26pm
i match your 'friday night', and raise you a 'friday night/saturday morning'
Tuesday 14 February 2006 6.20pm
Tony will match your "Friday night", and raise you a "Saturday night/Sunday morning"
Wednesday 15 February 2006 2.00pm
even better
Monday 13 March 2006 5.44pm
Did this get anywhere?

I missed the one that was organised, being at a friends 30th.

I'm well up for the next one. I've even put bids on a set of poker chips on e-bay, so may be able to be the next host!
Monday 13 March 2006 9.01pm
Not enough players for a tournament. Do you want to suggest a date? Am sure that Tony & Yannis will be up for a poker night.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions