London SE1 community website

Spring Social

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Wednesday 26 March 2008 4.47pm
Can't get through to The Woolpack to warn them that we're coming, phone is either no answer or constantly engaged. Will keep trying as they might want to bring on extra bar staff with us descending! If anyone is passing maybe you could nip in and have a word with the manager.
Thursday 27 March 2008 5.00pm
roamnbutterfly wrote:
Funny i saw ur user name and wondered whether u'd be the one who'd answer my query!- Mapmaker

Even funnier is that I'm no more a mapmaker than you are (presumably) a butterfly...
Friday 28 March 2008 1.38pm
I think that butterfly might be a butterfly, actually. Do you want a flutter on it, Mapmaker ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 28 March 2008 3.44pm
Only if I manage to get the moths out of my wallet.
Saturday 29 March 2008 11.37am
Well I cabbed over to the Woolpack just after 7pm. It was a nightmare, totally packed, did not see anyone I recognised, realised I would have to club my way through the crowd to get a drink, hopped back into a cab and returned to the relative peace of the nearly empty Lye Torng to enjoy a good pad thai - maybe I am just too old for 'socials'!

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Saturday 29 March 2008 11.56am
I have to say that it wasn't the most successful social we have ever had! Because of the awful weather everyone was inside instead of in the garden so it was very busy and we didn't get a seat until 9pm.
I arrived at 7.30 and was stood on my tod until Connie and her Mum arrived at 8.15. Awfully glad I forgot my daffodil or I would have looked as though i'd been stood up on a blind date!
Elsita arrived 8.35 and Jac and Mr Jac shortly after. That was about it! Jackie Rock and the Prof popped in briefly around 9.15.
Nevermind, it was lovely to see those that made it, but as Jac pointed out, we usually get more people for book club!
Maybe Fridays are not the best night for a social as the pubs tend to be fairly full. Mid week next time?
Saturday 29 March 2008 12.51pm
Very frustrated to be stuck on the M1 last night .... I had my Marie Curie daff all ready too!

The Woolpack tends to be packed from afterwork drinkers as well as locals. Perhaps we could try again & get together the May Day bank holiday weekend? I think it is Mon 5 May. Us locals have a chance of getting a seat then.
Sunday 30 March 2008 6.48pm
Yes, sorry we were so feeble, but the NOISE was quite extraordinary, and no one could hear anyone....and indeed it was such a filthy night no one could escape outside. So we beat a fast retreat.
Jac
Sunday 30 March 2008 7.21pm
Plum you forgot to mention that a lurker, lurked! Or does the fact that we have met them face to face mean that they are no longer a lurker.
Sunday 30 March 2008 8.07pm
It was very nice to meet the people that did show up and I agree, we could do a Spring Social II. May 5th is OK for me. As I said at the Woolpack, last time I lived here for some odd reason I almost only hung out at Belushi's with the "younger" MSc crowd so I can't suggest any good pubs around. Would love to get to know the hidden or not so hidden gems around here where you can have a pint and a conversation without having to scream or lipread ;-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions