London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 18
Monday 20 October 2008 12.34pm
Mrs R has kindly volunteered to navigate for me on the Saturday. Will there be anyone at the farm to help unload or should I leave delivery until the Sunday morning?
Monday 20 October 2008 1.02pm
Thanks Plum. Glad you've got a helper. Mrs I said that she'd help on Sat, but it looks like you're all sorted. I think it'd be better if we have everything there on Sat night, ready to start straight off on Sunday.

The farm's open until 5pm, and we're planning to get to the farm with the apples shortly before then, so I'd suggest either that you unload any time on Sat that suits you (I'm sure the farm people would help, and the press comes in relatively easy to handle bits so no one piece is very heavy), or that you get there for around 4, when we should be arriving with apples, and we can all unload everything together. It'd be good to have a hand with the apples.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 October 2008 4.26pm
I would really like to come along, but am absolutely clueless as to what I should bring (except for self), how to get there etc etc..... I'll be someones helper if you need one!
Jac
Monday 20 October 2008 5.16pm
Tattie you can come with us if you want to but not sure what time we are going over yet. If you want to make your own cider for 1 gallon to start with you will need a demijohn, air lock, bung and some yeast. also sterlising fluid and a few other bits like piping which we have and you can borrow. Ivanhoe will speak out if ive left anything out. Plum has said she would pick up airlock , yeast and bung for me if you her ask nicely she might get your bits too.
Monday 20 October 2008 5.51pm
Please! Stop getting each others' bits on this family forum ;0)

Tattie, if you want to make cider then that's excellent. It's very simple, and Jac's list above is all that you need. The only practical tips I can add are:

- get sterilising stuff. Get it. Get it. Get it. Get it now. Make sure you've got it. Get it now. Get plenty of it. You need it at a few stages of the process, and it's quite cheap, so get lots now. The surest way of making your cider turn into something undrinkable is to not keep everything very clean. If this is the only thing that you concentrate on, it should be enough to make sure your cider turns out nice and drinkable

- the second surest way of making your cider horrible is to let air into it. But this is OK if you're getting an airlock. Get an airlock, a bung with a hole (which the airlock will fit through), and another bung with no hole (for use later).

- think about doing two gallons rather than one. It's no real extra bother, and you give yourself twice as much chance of good results.

It's quite easy, and if you have any Q's, then I'll answer them happily (as long as they're fairly simple.)

Monday 20 October 2008 6.02pm
we have some tubing which we shared usage round last time, something ridiculously cheap like 20p/metre at B&Q.

Cider making on Sunday 26th - Farm opens at 10am, but there will be people there from 9am. It will be a full days work, and the farm closes at 5pm (and it'll be getting dark by then as well) - lots of help needed if we're going to get it all done.

We're going to try and obtain some cider for the pressing - it helps the workers!

Tattie, bring warm clothing, in layers, rubber gloves, wellies maybe, definitely a cider making hat, packed lunch if you're staying all day, or there is a cafe on site, with very nice food, soup, drink etc.

help might be needed on the Saturday, at about 4pm for unloading of apples, and press etc.

Plum, it might be worth going early enough to do two trips, in case it doesn't all fit in in one go. I'm not sure how big your car is, and how big the equipment is.

Rubber gloves, rubber gloves, rubber gloves.
Don't forget the rubber gloves - there will be lots of apple washing, and the apple juice will get really sticky when it dries, and it's just a lot easier with gloves on.

...oh and don't forget to get sterilising stuff. Sodium Meta-Bisulphate I think it's called, small tablets in tubs of 100. 5 per pint of hot water for sterilizing, 1 per gallon of juice for killing bacteria/yeast, etc (sulphiting)
Monday 20 October 2008 6.29pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
definitely a cider making hat

So what exactly does a cider making hat look like? And will you be singing Wurzels songs? Inquiring minds want to know!
Tuesday 21 October 2008 12.22pm
a cider hat, is any hat worn by a person making cider, to protect the head from loss of heat, sunburn, or just to look good. There are links to a photobucket site, somewhere in a cidermaking thread somewhere, and you might see 'A Man Called Tharg' wearing his cider hat.
There are also some cider making photo's here where several cider hats can be seen.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 12.32pm
I'll take you up on your offer Jac - won't be making my own cider (no time to do any of the shopping this week I'm afraid) but will happily help anyone else make theirs!
Tuesday 21 October 2008 12.52pm
Laphroaig wrote:
So what exactly does a cider making hat look like?
http://www.swallowcliffe.com/Berwick-Steam-Fayre-2006/0609-0030%20-%20Man%20with%20old%20style%20hat%20and%20cider.htm
Laphroaig wrote:
And will you be singing Wurzels songs? Inquiring minds want to know!
With hats like that, do you need to ask whether we'll be singing Wurzels songs?!?!? For one weekend only, SE1 is countreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezide
Current: 10 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions