London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 18
Jac
Monday 27 October 2008 3.57pm
I had 2 packets yeast, 1 demijohn, 2 bungs, 2 bungs with holes, 2 airlocks and some camden tablets. And 2 gallons of juice.
Jac
Monday 27 October 2008 3.59pm
And forgot to say had a great time. Glad I brought the gazebo to keep off the worst of the rain. Nice to see everyone and pelase pass on my thanks to the farm for being such good hosts.
Monday 27 October 2008 6.00pm
Glad to hear it went well! I thought of you all in the rain, but was too lazy to come down and see.
Tuesday 28 October 2008 10.41am
I took some photo's - they'll be online fairly soon.

Thanks Jac for info

Laphroaig - you should have turned up. with the gazebo, and umbrella up the rain was unimportant.
Tuesday 28 October 2008 2.19pm
Had a great time!
Tuesday 28 October 2008 2.57pm
Yes--it was actually more because I spent a couple of hours at Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market, etc. for Apple Day. I thought about going to the farm afterward, but was too lazy. Next year!
Tuesday 28 October 2008 6.56pm
I fancied the Southwark Cathedral apple day too, shame it clashed. Great Cider making again, really enjoyed it (in spite of my stinky cold) and wonderful to see my SE1 pals scratting away!

Took the scratter loaded into my boot by mistake back to the farm today. Carl and Kate were smoking the beehives and collecting the honey - very interesting - had a taste too - delish! The twins love the farm so much and really enjoyed feeding the apple orts to the pigs.

Think we should do the Much Marcle/Ledbury cider weekend again in the spring as it was so fantastic last time.

Equipment wise Jon I had:
1 demijohn
1 sachet yeast
1 bung
1 bung with hole
1 airlock
some camden tablets

and 1 gallon of apple juice to make 1 gallon yummy cider (although the rugrats are already pushing my sulphited solution around the kitchen! Goodness knows what they're going to do to it once it starts bubbling!)
Thursday 30 October 2008 11.28am
my cider is bubbling furiously away, the small one has started to slow down already, so might put the airlock in today or tomorrow.
The large one has errupted a big brown fluffy bubbly mess all over the place, luckily it was on a tray, so none on the carpet. I'll wait a bit longer before putting air lock in this one.

If you've sulphited the juice, wait a couple of days for gasses to disperse from juice before adding your own yeast.
Thursday 30 October 2008 1.57pm
Why do I have this vision of you in a lab coat and protective goggles, waving a test tube?
Friday 31 October 2008 11.28pm
cider photo's from this years pressing are now online at Webshots
Current: 12 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions