London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 18
Jac
Sunday 2 November 2008 12.31pm
I don't know about the cider hat but looking at the pics the red coat was obviously this years must have accessory!
Monday 3 November 2008 12.17pm
Got back from hols last night to find kitchen wall and floor covered in cider-spray from vessel No. 1.

Both vessels from the SE1 pressing are bubbling, although only one appears to have gone at it like Etna. I sulphited both vessels straight after the pressing, and added yeast before going on hols (in case fermentation didn't take off with wild yeasts and we were away on hols and the juice got spoilt).

There are now 3 big fermenters in our kitchen (one of them the Kingston Black that we pressed in Hfd this week), and my hands are black with ingrained oxidised apple juice. Couldn't be happier.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 4 November 2008 7.11pm
Sulphited my juice the day after the pressing and it's bubbling away like crazy without adding any yeast - it blew the bung out!
Still too active to put the airlock in at the moment. With such fast fermentation I'm looking forward to Wasshailing with it in January!
Friday 7 November 2008 12.26pm
We've now got THREE bubbling fermenters (the one we pressed in Much Marcle last Sunday finally started bubbling last night, and the two from the City Farm had started sometime last week while we were away on hols).

I was getting very nervous about the last fermenter as I'd sulphited it but not added any yeast. I didn't want the juice to spoil, but I wanted to use the natural yeast if possible. It's very sweet, late-picked Kingston Black juice (OG of 1075, due to late picking, which means it should be dangerously full of alcoholic potential). I'd made up my mind that if it hadn't started working by the time I got home last night then I'd have to put some champagne yeast in to stop spoilage. So I was very happy when I got home and it was frothing like a rabid Ivanhoe, trying to fight my way through the pushchairs to get to the New Forest cider stall in Borough Market.

I think it's time to put them all in the custom-built, architect-designed, luxury cider shed on the balcony now, and hope for a long, slow fermentation.

I wish this bit didn't take so long. Roll on Springtime, and the Big Apple. http://www.bigapple.org.uk/cider_perry_trials/2007.html

Saturday 8 November 2008 3.56pm
I know the feeling Ivanhoe. When I used to be a brewer, I usually made my brew on a Sunday and had to wait for the wort to cool down to a suitable temperature before I could pitch the yeast, usually around bedtime.
Coming home on a Monday evening, there was nothing more rewarding than to come in through the door and smell the fruity yeasty aroma of fermentation in the air.
To open the lid of the fermentation vessel and see a good healthy crop of top fermenting yeast on the surface made it all worth while. I usually celebrated it with a couple of pints from the previous batch. Those were the days.
Monday 10 November 2008 10.49am
I might try to pick your brains after this cider has finished, Hydrometer. It would be a shame to not use all the brewing stuff I've built up, and I fancy having a crack at some beermaking, but I've got no idea how to go about it.

Friday 21 November 2008 10.00am
How's your cider doing, everyone?

Tuesday 25 November 2008 7.42pm
Great thanks, nice and clear and bubbling away. I could do with borrowing some syphon tube so that i can do my first clean out.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 5.57pm
fine - still going. I added some sugar water to it, to top up the liquid level. I also did a second rack off of those two bottles of single variety Katy. I've corked them now, so I think they'll be nice to drink at Christmas....
Thursday 27 November 2008 10.40am
Good stuff. Ours is bubbling along, although the stuff we made at the farm isn't going as vigourously as the Kingston Black we made in Hfds.

Current: 13 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions