London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 18
Jac
Monday 12 January 2009 12.19pm
I racked my cider between Christmas and the new year. It was clearing nicely and I have to say already tasting pretty good better than my previous attempt at cider making. I wouldn't be surprised if fermentation has practically stopped at the moment in this cold weather,as I left it in a shed in Suffolk to finish.
Monday 12 January 2009 12.51pm
We checked our two batches of SE1 cider last weekend.

Both were OK, but one was much better than the other (more flavours, less acid, actually quite appley - which as you know cider isn't generally). I think it was that I used different yeasts (although foolishly I now can't find the notebook I used to record which yeast went in which juice).

When checking the SG, one of our SE1 batches (the less tasty one) was nearly down to 1000 (i.e. fermentation as near as dammit over). I've left it under airlock for the time being (don't think it'll come to any harm in this cold weather, as Jac says), but it will soon be time to bottle it. As it's the less tasty one, I'm toying with the idea of dosing it with sugar and trying for a secondary fermentation in bottle.

The Kingston Black juice that we brought back from Herefordshire (with no added yeast) still has a way to go (but it had an OG of 1075! Roughly twice that of the SE1 juice), but it's tasting lovely.

Is anyone (apart from us) planning to go to Putley this year for the cider comp.?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 11.07am
I'd love to go again, really enjoyed our weekend there last time, great fun! What are the dates this year?
Really need to rack off my cider, it stopped bubbling a couple of weeks ago! Just don't ever seem to find the time at the moment! Think I should put it outside till I get round to it!
Tuesday 13 January 2009 11.58am
being away over Christmas, and after NY, our flat has been cold, and fermentation seems to have slowed down a lot, therefore I'm thinking of racking off soon - anyone got a spare vessel to rack off into? or should I use the kitchen bin like last time? (don't worry, it's plastic, and we cleaned and sterilised it well first!)
Tuesday 13 January 2009 1.42pm
Putley should be May Bank Hol w/e, but a check on the Big Apple website will reveal all (unless they've not put the dates up yet).

Thursday 29 January 2009 7.51pm
HOORAY!!!!

Spring is officially just around the corner and May is busting out all over.

The Big Apple entry forms are out: http://www.bigapple.org.uk/cider_perry_trials/2009.html

Sat 2nd May for the cider trials, and there will be other events open to non-cider-trialists, taking place over Sunday and (Bank Holiday) Monday (open days at local producers, walks around various orchards, talks, tastings and sales of all sorts of apple-related things, tea and lots of cake). Will we see any of you there, representing SE1 Cider?

I think most of us who made this year know what a lovely weekend it is, but if anyone wants me to bore them silly with a million reasons to visit Herefordshire in apple blossom time, other than the programme of events at The Big Apple, it will be my pleasure (faggot tossing in the main street of Ledbury, anyone?). Pics of last year's cider trials (including a very good shot of the back of my head. I think they caught my best side.) are here: http://www.bigapple.org.uk/cider_perry_trials/2008.html

Only quandary now is whether to make one entry or two...

Tuesday 3 March 2009 12.35pm
I checked my cider recently, to top up the liquid level as it's not fermenting, and the bung was quite loose, and there was a very thin layer of white stuff (i don't want to say fungus or mold, but it was like that sort of thing), the cider still smelt ok...

is this a problem?

Will a simple rack off sort it out?

someone please help?!
Wednesday 4 March 2009 9.10am
I think that sounds like film yeast. If you google it there should be some useful help. Otherwise I'd suggest joining "UK Google groups cider" as there are a lot of pro's on there who are very willing to help.

I think step 1 is to get that film off the cider. But I don't think that will solve it completely. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you reliably.

Wednesday 4 March 2009 11.12am
Thanks I
Wednesday 4 March 2009 1.25pm
We do our best, Jon ;0) Hope you get it sorted. If the top was loose, maybe that's where your problem crept in, perhaps?

Racked our off at the weekend:

- One SE1 barrel was perfectly drinkable, but a bit bland. A "session cider", possibly.
- the other SE1 barrel was really quite nice. Good (eating) apple flavours.
- the third (Hereford - Kingston Black) was still working (still fizzy) with a fair bit of sweetness still in it, and tasting good. Not sure if it will be finished for Putley though!

Current: 14 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions