London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 18
Wednesday 4 March 2009 2.45pm
not yet - I think I'll try and remove the thin film if it's still there, and top up with water, sulphite it and put a solid bung in, until the weekend when I can either re-rack, or bottle. I doubt it'll ferment any more, but the demijohn is still bubbling, although very slowly.
Monday 9 March 2009 6.20pm
I added 5 crushed camden tablets, and then after a few hours (cleaning and sterilising all our bottles) I bottled the cider - I think it was still giving off some of the gass from the camden tablets, so I might have to open the bottles a few times to stop them exploding.

taste wise, it wasn't bad - perfectly drinkable stuff.

the demijohn still going was nicer though.
Jac
Monday 6 April 2009 5.51pm
I racked my cider for a 2nd time at the weekend. I was expecting to bottle it but it was still fermenting away, its been in a shed in Suffolk so quiet cold. Tasted a little though and I have to say it is pretty good, light and refreshing much better than my first attempt. It's also very clear. I might even end up drinking this years brew rather than just cooking with it which is what i did with the first lot i made.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.43am
We need to do racking and bottling this weekend. Glad it all sounds like your is going well, Jac and Jon.

Meet up for a taste comparison soon?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 1 May 2009 7.05pm
We're off to the Big Apple tomorrow. Entering in draught dry with the SE1 cider (which I think is good, but won't get any votes because it's not like Herefordshire cider), and the draught sweet with some cider we made near Much Marcle.

Cross your fingers for us.

Jac
Friday 1 May 2009 11.08pm
good luck ivanhoe. We intend to bottle ours this weekend.
Saturday 2 May 2009 1.40pm
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Jac
Monday 4 May 2009 9.47pm
Bottled our cider at weekend as planned it good. This lot will be drunk unlike last lot which i only used in cooking. Would be nice to try some of the others, so do any of the other cider makers fancy a SE1 cider tasting? Happy to host at my place.
Tuesday 5 May 2009 8.00am
How was the Big Apple?

Would have loved to go, but had an extended family thing instead.
Tuesday 5 May 2009 11.39am
Big Apple was wonderful. Lovely weather on Sat and Sun, followed by a dreary drizzly Monday (just like the last couple of years - who says UK weather is unpredictable?). Lots of entrants, again, including a fair few new faces.

We came just above half way in both classes we entered (draught dry and draught sweet cider). Was pleased with that, as it meant we came level with or above some good cidermakers whose product I happily pay money for.

Was especially pleased that we got a vote or two for the SE1 cider. I didn't think that anyone would vote for a cider that was obviously made with eating and cooking fruit, given that you'd expect most entrants to that competition to be looking for a cider that was made from cider fruit. It may have had something to do with last year's poor summer meaning that a lot of the traditional ciders had turned out a little thin (i.e. closer to eating apple cider than you'd expect). We got some "real" cidermakers to taste the SE1 cider, and they were quite positive about it.

Would love to do a tasting of SE1 cider, and can be fairly flexible with weekday dates over the next couple of weeks. Shouldn't we meet on a park bench somewhere?

Current: 15 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions