London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 18
Monday 13 October 2008 11.18am
buying from Borough market would be cost prohibitive, and they wouldn't necessarily have a decent mixture of cider apples.
yes we could contact a seller there, and arrange something, but not at Borough Market prices.

Apples are ready (will be ready at the right time), in fact by most accounts it's been a very good year for apples.

re-arranging weekends at this late stage is not an option (2 weeks to go!).

I have a friend who says that he has lots of apples left, which we can have, picked and bagged, but they're mostly Bramleys, and I don't think he has any cider apple varieties - but it is an option (one bag of Bramleys would help with the mix)

Ivanhoe - have you tried "Clive's Fruit Farm" ?
Jac
Monday 13 October 2008 12.18pm
Hope to be able to join you in cider making. The mini javcs really enjoyed it last time. I have a couple of demijohns but if anyone can get a couple of airlock for them I would be very grateful. Thanks
Monday 13 October 2008 12.52pm
Really hope you can join us Jac.

I don't need to do any shopping - we've got all our kit just about - so I'm sorry I can't add what you want to an order of ours - but I'd suggest either doing a mail order/internet order from any decent brew shop (airlocks cost about 1.25 iirc, postage is negligible), or get whoever's going to pick the press up to get you some stuff from Cheers of Cheam.

(I'm sure I don't need to remind you that you'll need plenty of sterilising solution as well)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 13 October 2008 1.22pm
I'm afraid that we won't be able to make it after all* (and I am genuinely gutted as it really is a great day out - so anyone wondering whether or not to join in, should just do it)

But if I can help on Friday with the car please let me know

(* for various reasons I won't bore you with ... and had forgotten Ivanhoe wasn't going to be snb-ing tonight so was going to placate him with much beer and promises of knitted apple cosies and demi-john warmers.)

I will hit the 'post message' key with trepidation and then roll into the recovery position ...
Monday 13 October 2008 2.05pm
Oh, that's a real shame Julie, but as you say you know what a good time you're missing. It won't be the same without you, but somehow I expect we'll soldier on and make lots of lovely cider ;0)

And yes, anyone else who's interested is very welcome to come along. No experience or knowledge neccesary (otherwise you'll show us up for the blundering amateurs we are!)

Monday 13 October 2008 2.55pm
I've put a WANTED post on the UKcider group, as well as on a forum of small orchard owners in the Somerset area. I'll see whether we can get a similar ad in a suitable local paper in a cidermaking area.

We could use eating fruit (with Bramleys or crabs for bitterness), but it would at best make a blander and thinner cider than if we used cider fruit. I'd only view that as a very last resort, really.

Monday 13 October 2008 4.55pm
Jac, there is a brewing shop on Pitfield St, near Old St. it's not too far away (a 21 bus to old street and a five minute walk). I'm fairly sure they're still open
Tuesday 14 October 2008 8.08am
No. It closed a while back.

Tuesday 14 October 2008 12.11pm
really? oh bugger!

well I'm sure that Ivanhoe can provide links to online brewing places to order supplies from, and of course there is Cheers, in Cheam.

one online beer shop I like is Beers of Europe which has a brewing section with some equipment. It's expanded now, and has beers, and ciders from all over the world, and there are often special offers of just past the sell by date, or near sell by date beers. A very good site. and I'm not connected to it, other than being a happy customer when I found Desperados there!
Tuesday 14 October 2008 1.30pm
Can't remember where I last had brewing supplies from, sorry, but I do remember I just did a quick 5 mins on google. Think the name began with "H-E-L-?M?......", but they're pretty standard products so it's really just down to price. (edit: I think it was from here http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/ delivery was good and quick)

Steriliser, 2 bungs (one with hole, one without), airlock, demijohn, (possibly some yeast), couple of metres of syphon tube, and you're away.

Current: 7 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions