London SE1 community website

???SE1 Cider 2008???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 18
Thursday 16 October 2008 11.06am
a 7 gal, plus a demijohn - that's what we have equipment for at the moment - 8 gallons.
Thursday 16 October 2008 11.32am
0 gallons, but I still might come out and abuse some apples for ya.
Thursday 16 October 2008 11.55am
Just a 1 gallon demijohn for me please.
Jac
Thursday 16 October 2008 3.43pm
2 gallons max
Friday 17 October 2008 9.18am
Do we have someone to take the press and scratter back on the Monday?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 17 October 2008 11.17am
I'll take them back on the Monday. I really need someone with me to help navigate on the Saturday for the pick up because I haven't got a clue where this place is and I'll need some help to load up etc too. Volunteer please!
Friday 17 October 2008 3.18pm
I'd volunteer, as I know where it is as I've been before, but I'll be heading over to Herefordshire to pick up the apples (if we get any ;) )

I'm sure you'll get a volunteer.

Ivanhoe - would you be ok if we picked up van and drove up on Friday Night to Herefs, and got an early start the next morning already there?
Saturday 18 October 2008 5.50pm
OK more news - We have sourced some apples, 16 sacks, which should be enough for Ivanhoe, me, Jac, Plum, the Farm Students, with maybe some left.

we met some people from One Tree hill, who have some spare apples which they will bring with them to press, and take the juice, I'm sure they'll donate something towards the press hire etc.

I'm going to hire a van on Friday night for 24hrs, and set off early Saturday morning, with a volunteer (probably Ivanhoe) to pick up apples from a farm near Evesham, Worcestershire. Plum will need a volunteer to help her find Cheers, in Cheem, and to get the press, Scratter, etc from there to the farm on Saturday (and back on Monday).

The farm opens at 10am, but there will be someone there from 9am, which is when we'll hope to start doing our thing. Pressing just under a half ton of apples in a day is do-able, if we get our act together and get ourselves organised.

I'm hopeing that the weather is good - outside is better, but there is inside space if we need it.

for those interested in making cider, please reply to this thread, please read other posts and read some links, to get an idea of what you'll need in term of equipment, and stuff.

looking good! feeling excited about this now!

Hurrah!
Sunday 19 October 2008 12.35pm
Ha haaaa - more news

just had a phone call from the person we're getting apples from and he was slightly confused as to how many we wanted. in the end I decided that we'd get 4/5ths of half a ton - about 800lbs - for 80.
(about 16 sacks)
hiring a van now.
Sunday 19 October 2008 6.15pm
All good. I reckon we'll only need a small van

...if you press it, they will come.
Current: 9 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions