London SE1 community website

Website advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 2.47pm
Hi,
I want to set up my own website but don't really know where to start. It's a personal one, not business, my sister wants one for her wedding, never heard of this before but they're quite common at the minute. Does anyone have any advice for a novice? I've been looking online and seen this kind of thing http://website.1and1.co.uk/create-personal-website but it's not an area I'm familiar with.
Thanks in advance.
Sunday 16 June 2013 2.35am
Dont use 1and1's its not that flexible

I would try in this order

1 Squarespace
2 Webs
3 Jimdo

let me know you get on

A
Wednesday 19 June 2013 3.12pm
Thanks for that AlienPsyTing, will do!
Wednesday 26 June 2013 6.11pm
Holders80 wrote:
Hi,
I want to set up my own website but don't really know where to start. It's a personal one, not business, my sister wants one for her wedding, never heard of this before but they're quite common at the minute. Does anyone have any advice for a novice? I've been looking online and seen this kind of thing http://website.1and1.co.uk/create-personal-website but it's not an area I'm familiar with.
Thanks in advance.

Hi
The best option to create a website of your own is Wordpress. Worpress allows you to quickly put together a blog along with a website. My web designer built my Personal training site on a Wordpress platform and I love that I can easily post on my blog.

Hope this helps.
Friday 28 June 2013 8.46am
My website build on Joomla! I Very happy .
Sunday 30 June 2013 8.49pm
Joomla and Wordpress are both excellent at what they do, cheaper at say 20 / yr rather than Webs, jimdo or Squarespace (60/yr) but you will struggle as a biginner to learn them and additionally finding a theme may cost you extra ($79 is average for a cool professional theme)

My advice is still as above - good luck

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions