London SE1 community website

Parker Building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 22
Monday 16 December 2013 9.43pm
It's the very end of the tap that you can unscrew. I think it's called the aerator. The door is still a problem and will have to be looked at again.
MCR
Tuesday 17 December 2013 9.11am
Thanks, so.

As far as the lobby goes, kind of been holding off deciding if it looks good in an urban style until i've been thru it a few times, have come to the conclusion it looks cheap and nasty, shame because the lifts and doorway is anything but.

So far so good for us other than a couple of small issues, just one thing and it might be because we're not used to it, the air vents in the wall of the living area let in quite a bit of noise from the road below and / or the connected fan, has anyone else noticed this?
so
Tuesday 17 December 2013 9.38am
Hi MCR,
I am on the 4th floor, did not notice any noise from the vent. What floor are you on? Do I need to open the vent? May be I have not open the vent!!
I notice that when you look your door from inside, people still can open it from outside. I will check with Hydes today and keep you all update, I think it is a defect. Do you have this problem? Check it out. If you do, it is a security issue.
I notice another thing is the floor in the living room is cold although the room is not cold. My NIBE system is set at 21 degree. I am not sure whether the underfloor heating is working. Does your floor feel warm in the living room?
MCR
Tuesday 17 December 2013 10.02am
Hi, yes glad you mentioned the heating, have it set at 21 degrees too and none of the floors feel warm but it's not cold in the apartment, I was execting to feel a warm floor, think we're going to get a full demo from the heating guys in a couple of weeks but I may mention this before.
I'm floor 6 and the square vents are fixed with no facility to open or close, we have a longer vent in the bedroom supposedly a sound diffuser which is better.

The door lock is stiff and needs both hands to close which I'm sure will ease up with more use. I'll check for the locking inside / outside and let you know.

Do you know if there are any plans to have benches or anything on the communal area on level 2?
Tuesday 17 December 2013 10.13am
Just a thought with respect to the heating - as the flats need to be super insulated for the NIBE heating system it could be that the underfloor heating hasn't had to kick in yet as the internal temperature might be above the thermostat setting. It's not that cold out at the moment...

Here's a thought with respect to the communal areas/corridors. I'm currently renting in a modern block where they have carpeted floors and standard white plastered walls. The carpet isn't well suited to a communal area and the plastered walls in the lift lobby and corridors are quite badly scuffed and marked. Brick walls will be tougher and require less maintenance and cleaning. I must admit though that I've never lived in an apartment block where the communal corridors are open to the elements like the Parker Building. On the other hand it's probably safer from a smoke/fire perspective and doesn't require heating which just adds to the service charge.
Tuesday 17 December 2013 10.16am
Do you find that the NIBE system provides enough hot water?
MCR
Tuesday 17 December 2013 10.51am
Yes that sounds possible, although the red light indicator comes on when the heating activates and still haven't noticed it.
Plenty of hot water no problem.

I agree that the corridor areas are easily marked and scuffed with the traffic so maybe it is a good idea to have it open. Just think they could have made more of an effort with the entrance lobby and continued the colour scheme of the building with cream and grey.
Tuesday 17 December 2013 11.45am
Hi, There is sufficient hot water and the flat is warm so I assume the system is working.

There are two types of vents in the flat: long thin ones onto Jamaica Road that we were told are noise cancelling and square ones into the inner courtyard that are not.

I must admit I rather like the open walkways and brick walls. They should be easy to maintain and non-smelly. Hadn't appreciated that we would walk past a window onto someone's bedroom though.
Tuesday 17 December 2013 2.49pm
Dear Future Neighbours from the Parker Buidling,

I am expected to complete in mid-Jan, and will hopefully move in soon after, so i thought I join this forum, which is very useful !

One comment from me on the communal area and corridors, following what I already read from you (I wanted to see my proprtey last Saturday to take measurements, but could not do so, and all i saw was the lobby, lifts and corridors)

I was very astonihsed to see that they are open to the outside ?! I think this will make them cold, humid, windy and dusty (especially in the winter!) ? This might be difficult to maintain and clean, and I would have much prefereed to have closed corridors as in most modern buildings, don't ou think so ??
Tuesday 17 December 2013 3.12pm
Hi AlexF, the open corridor design in the Parker Building is in line with other recent buildings in Bermondsey Spa - such as Prospect House where my mate lives. He has been there since new and the communal walkways whilst obviously cold in the Winter are kept clean and regularly mopped by the Hyde management company. I'm going to keep an open mind until after I have moved in and see how they fair.

Ironically the much quicker and cheaper option would have been enclosed plaster board corridors. Polished bricks and tiles are more expensive and labour intensive to lay and being open on one side to the elements means the whole corridor has to be water proofed. The architects, Levitt Bernstein, have opted for an all brick building - probably one of the reasons why it's taken the contractors so long to complete!
Current: 13 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions