London SE1 community website

Parker Building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 21 of 22
Tuesday 11 February 2014 1.01pm
There should be no air leaks around the door when it is closed, otherwise what's the point of having insulation strips all around the door? These apartments are supposed to be insulated to a high standard to enable the Nibe exhaust air heat pump system to work.

Having said that, I find it baffling that during windy weather so much cold air forces its way into the apartment through the wall vents. How can that be efficient?
Tuesday 11 February 2014 2.54pm
chrisbu80, I have the same spec as seb1 regarding the wardrobes.

I have yet to have the NIBE people come in and hope to set something up for next week but I cannot really exceed 18C at night.

Regarding the TV signal issues, the TV guy came again yesterday and slightly improved the signal. I can now get satellite to some channels but other channels still do not work. I also cannot get signal to the bedrooms. Apparently the multiswitch in Core 3/Floor 4 riser had a nail through it so it wasn't working, there was also a part which was completely plastered over rendering it useless. To my knowledge, there's one guy fixing it who comes from Enfield, it therefore takes ages for anything to get done...
Wednesday 12 February 2014 10.53am
Just a quick thought about the air coming through the front door. I had this problem for a while but if you pull the handle up as if to lock the door, the door should close fully which blocked out the air and noise for me.

The plumber who came to look at the leak under the boiler (same apartment as Yellanne if you hadn't guessed from the name) seemed to know a lot more about the NIBE system than was explained to me and couldn't understand the vents being in the same room as the kitchen as that is where a lot of the heat is drawn from.
Sunday 2 March 2014 5.57pm
Has anyone asked about soundproofing of the air inlets in the bedrooms? Mine open straight onto Tesco, who have deliveries throughout the night. Seems crazy that they aren't soundproofed!
MCR
Sunday 2 March 2014 7.03pm
snixo1 yes made numerous calls about the noise and draught, all I had back was blah blah blah, Hyde not interested just saying it's the way the heating works, the heating people wouldn't change the vents for a more appropriate type, ie ones that reduce noise and draught. An engineer told me off the record that it wouldn't make any difference if I blocked the vents, so I stuffed the hole with plastic bags and taped the vent grille. Problem solved.
Sunday 2 March 2014 11.11pm
Has anyone had an elec/heating bill yet? Due to move in on 10th April and have been doing some research about the NIBE system. Apparently huge bills due to immersion heaters kicking in when the water temperature falls too low. Very concerned!
Monday 3 March 2014 10.15am
We received our first bill from NPower - it was 40 covering a six week period for a two bed flat. I thought this was pretty good actually.
Monday 3 March 2014 10.25am
I was initially concerned that the Nibe system didn't seem to be able to heat the flat to much above 21 degrees. However, I have got used to the slightly lower temperature. In some ways it's good that the system heats the apartment to a constant temperature 24/7 as we work from home a couple of days a week and don't have to worry about the extra heating costs. The passive wall vents do get a little noisy when it is very windy but most of the time they don't bother us. Mind you, our bedroom vents face inwards to the podium garden and our living room faces onto Freda Street so we don't hear the traffic.

We still have a few snagging issues outstanding - faulty TV signal to the bedrooms and a balcony ceiling to be replaced. Oh, and a missing kitchen tap end fitting.
Monday 3 March 2014 10.31am
Thanks seb1. No problems with it being too cold/water being tepid?

Wow, sounds like ongoing trauma. Not overly excited about moving in with all the problems!
Monday 3 March 2014 12.40pm
I would add that the water is very hot all the time and never runs out for us. It's actually really good. I am still not convinced by the NIBE system though, it rarely feels "just right" for us. Seb1, was your Npower bill based on a meter reading or just an estimate? I'm planning to submit a reading this week and see what the damage is.

I'm still wary of the taps and we can't let them forget about the issue here. Also, has anyone managed to get a spare key fob yet? We need another one and don't know where to get hold of them.

Cheers
Current: 21 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions