London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa, The Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 20 of 31
Wednesday 17 December 2014 11.41am
I just had the home demo tour today and I think it now may be working!!!

I thought I'd update on a couple of other things which I've been experiencing and wonder if others have too?!?

Door Entry System
Completely erratic - works sometimes, not others - for the life of me can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Is everyone else's working ok?

Smell in bathroom
I had this issue, but only on days where I fully closed the shower door. If you leave that door even slightly open, the smell has never come back.

Mechanical Air Ventilation
I used to think this was incredibly loud. Following a visit from the very friendly Peter (United House), he explained that the control in the main bathroom is not a thermostat as I'd mistakenly thought, but instead a humidity gauge. Ours had been set at 70, which had the effect of ensuring that our fans were always on. He reset it to 40 and now the fans only come on when the lights or on in the bathroom, or you turn the booster on in the living room. It's so quiet in here now!

Heating
Same problems as everyone else. Peter was in and made some tweaks - I think we might be there - the floor only gets slightly warmer and this very gradually heats the air. It is quite disconcerting!

Thanks to everyone for posting - it's really helpful knowing what others are going through!
Saturday 20 December 2014 11.23am
Has anybody else had a problem with their loo flushing? Not the type of thing you want to shout about but definitely a problem.

I have to flush about 3 times for 'normal deposits' to disappear. No wonder my water bill was higher than expected. Really annoying. I also have to stand and check before leaving the bathroom.
Monday 29 December 2014 11.48pm
Hi all

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Mundane question: Have you had your service charge bill from Nottinghill HA yet? Or are they taking the monthly amount out of your accounts automatically?

Nik
Tuesday 30 December 2014 1.11pm
Merry Christmas tout le monde

A couple of replies and a question:

@PeterOB - Door entry not a problem.

Ventilation is loud isn't it. My box backs onto my kitchen/diner, so it is very audible whenever the bathrooms are in use. Apparently if I unscrewed the vent a little in the kitchen, it would suck more from the bathrooms, and be quieter in the kitchen - but fiddling with it isn't high on my list.

@Everyone - Heating - still don't think mine is quite right. The flame logo is often on outside the times that I have set for a programme. Is that heating water? Or is that the heating erroneously on? My thermostats still click at a sub 10 degree temperature so I suspect they are telling the main box it's freezing in here.....

@TDG1982 - not really an issue. Had something similar a month or so ago, but seems that if you push (rather than push and hold) the button, it works fine for me.

@NikD. No breakdown. I queried which part of our lease we'd signed a clause saying they could charge us whatever they wanted - and behold, it was there.....(I had just forgotten it).

Lastly, a question - does anyone know a good carpenter? I want a bookcase made. Names/numbers etc very gratefully received.

Thanks all
Tuesday 30 December 2014 3.25pm
Hey James

Thanks for that. Just not sure if they're going to send a bill separately. Although I'm going to check my account tonight to see what they have been taking out.

As for Carpenter, I have a friend who is one. Good rates too. He's just finished some work for another friend if mine. Sounds s bit small, but he recently put my bedroom curtains and poles. And I've already booked him in for putting up my book shelves, mirrors, frames etc.

I can get him in touch with you if you like. I'll get you his number when I'm hone tonight.

Nik
Tuesday 30 December 2014 9.44pm
Hi NikD,

Could I grab that number of your carpenter friend too please?

Much appreciated!
Oliver
Friday 2 January 2015 11.02pm
Hi OliverMcC & JamesHunt

I'll PM you the number as soon as I've spoken to him. His name is Graham btw.

Will come back to you asap.

NiKD
Sunday 4 January 2015 8.23pm
NikD - I have been thinking exactly the same thing about the service charge! I noticed the other day they haven't charged me service charges for this month and so my account is in credit.

About the heating - I feel I've gone as far as I can now, having 3 times had the engineer out. He told me it takes 8 hours for the water to heat up after it's been below 15 degrees... so I leave my setting on 15 degrees at all times in all rooms, even when I'm at work, and turn it up to 25 degrees if I'm in and it's cold. I switch my heating off if I'm away for more than a day. The engineer assured me this is not wasteful, and said that British people have the wrong mentality for underfloor heating as they're used to radiators...I will wait to see my bill :)

Doesn't make much difference. The only time the room heats up nicely is when I've been cooking - as you'd expect. It's the living room which just doesn't heat effectively. The hallway and bathroom are fine. The bedroom I don't particularly want to be that warm as I'm only in there when I'm sleeping, under a thick duvey. But I swear the heat of the room never really goes above 15-18 degrees. Not exactly freezing, but just occasionally it is nice to have it really warm and snug, and I just don't think it's possible with this heating, or at least not in the living room.

Anyone else had better luck?
Monday 5 January 2015 11.07am
I tried to work out how to use the heating and want to share with you my conclusions.

Two steps are needed for setting up the heating correctly:

1. Set up the water temperature. The thermostat in the technical unit, near the HIU and ventilation, has a temperature on it that can be changed. That temperature is the water temperature i.e the water which flows in the underfloor heating, not the hot water you use for the shower. This influences the max temperature you can reach in your flat. If you set it up at 16, the flat will not get warmer than 16. If you want a nice and warm flat you need to set it between 20 and 25. Max temperature allowed is 35 degrees.

2. Set up the temperature in each room. Each room has a different thermostat which turn on/off the heating for each room.

The suggested configuration is to keep the main thermostat ON all the time at an high temperature (between 20 and 25) and chose the desired temperature for each room (for example bedroom 18, living room 22). In this way the heating will be on all the time, but you will consume only the energy that is required to keep the rooms at the desired temperature.

You can try to save a little bit of money by also using the timer i.e. set a lower water temperature during night time (for example 16), but keep in mind that underfloor heating requires at least 1 hour to heat up a big room, a little bit less for bedroom and bathroom. A lot of time if it is completely off (about 4 hours in my experience).

I have configured mine in this way and seems to work quite well:
Water temperature: from 10 pm till 5 am (night time): 16 degrees
From 5 am til 8 am (wake up in a nice and warm flat): 22 degrees
From 8 am till 4 pm (usually not in the flat): 18 degrees
from 4 pm till 8 pm (When I'm home in the evening): 22 degrees

Bedroom temperature is set to 17.
Living room temperature is set to 22.

I figure out everything myself and I might be wrong. I have been told a manual on how to use the heating will be send to the residents soon.

I hope this helps people having problems in getting the desired temperature in their flat.

Bye
Monday 5 January 2015 1.05pm
Hi All

Happy New Year to everyone.

@Victor75 - thanks for that, all very helpful.

@TDG1982 - re:Service Charge -it's all a bit confusing. I don't think they've (Notting Hill) been charging us. What I don't want is to get a huge bill in a couple of months time expecting immediate payment. I rather they took it every month as it would be easier to manage. I'm going to get in touch with them tomorrow and see what they say.

@[email protected] - I'm sent you a message with the Carpenter's contact details.

Thanks
Current: 20 of 31

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions