London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa, The Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 21 of 31
Monday 5 January 2015 11.28pm
Hi all

Quick question: How are you guys getting rid of your Xmas trees? Sadly the park near us isn't listed as one where we can drop them 😐
Tuesday 6 January 2015 11.52am
There don't seem to be many collection points for xmas trees nearby

The southwark council website says you can book an xmas tree collection - I'll give them a ring this afternoon. Would be good if they give us a day, and everyone can leave them outside to be collected on the same day

"If you do not have a scheduled food and garden waste collection service you can book an ad-hoc collection and arrange for your Christmas tree to be collected. Simply telephone 020 7525 2000 or email the environment team to book"
Tuesday 6 January 2015 1.45pm
Thanks LisaM

Let us know once you've spoken to Southwark. It is the 12th day after xmas after all :-)

Now this morning I bumped into Michael (Concierge) and he said there will be a collection, potentially, this morning. He showed me where some xmas trees were and said the deadline was the 5th. I pointed out that I knew nothing about this.

Did I miss a memo?

He said they might not pick up today, so I suggest we have a look on our way home tonight and if the trees are still there, we can leave ours there tonight (no later). If they're gone, then we must arrange directly with Southwark.

The location is against the wall, behind the Buddhist Temple. So opposite the block they're finishing as we go up to our block.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 11.02pm
Victor75 wrote:
I tried to work out how to use the heating and want to share with you my conclusions.
Two steps are needed for setting up the heating correctly:

1. Set up the water temperature. The thermostat in the technical unit, near the HIU and ventilation, has a temperature on it that can be changed. That temperature is the water temperature i.e the water which flows in the underfloor heating, not the hot water you use for the shower. This influences the max temperature you can reach in your flat. If you set it up at 16, the flat will not get warmer than 16. If you want a nice and warm flat you need to set it between 20 and 25. Max temperature allowed is 35 degrees.

2. Set up the temperature in each room. Each room has a different thermostat which turn on/off the heating for each room.

The suggested configuration is to keep the main thermostat ON all the time at an high temperature (between 20 and 25) and chose the desired temperature for each room (for example bedroom 18, living room 22). In this way the heating will be on all the time, but you will consume only the energy that is required to keep the rooms at the desired temperature.

You can try to save a little bit of money by also using the timer i.e. set a lower water temperature during night time (for example 16), but keep in mind that underfloor heating requires at least 1 hour to heat up a big room, a little bit less for bedroom and bathroom. A lot of time if it is completely off (about 4 hours in my experience).

I have configured mine in this way and seems to work quite well:
Water temperature: from 10 pm till 5 am (night time): 16 degrees
From 5 am til 8 am (wake up in a nice and warm flat): 22 degrees
From 8 am till 4 pm (usually not in the flat): 18 degrees
from 4 pm till 8 pm (When I'm home in the evening): 22 degrees

Bedroom temperature is set to 17.
Living room temperature is set to 22.

I figure out everything myself and I might be wrong. I have been told a manual on how to use the heating will be send to the residents soon.

I hope this helps people having problems in getting the desired temperature in their flat.

Bye

Thanks for that but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for me...

I was told that the thermostats don't make any difference in terms of whether they're on or off. So in other words, he said don't worry about that part as those switches are irrelevant on these models. Sounds like a professional job! My temperature on the control is always set to 35 degrees, as advised, but it makes no difference. He even told me himself that it'll never rise above 25 degrees in these flats. I would have said (should have said!) it doesn't rise much above 15 degrees.

He also told me to leave doors closed, even if the different rooms are set at the same temperature...
Tuesday 6 January 2015 11.13pm
NikD wrote:

@TDG1982 - re:Service Charge -it's all a bit confusing. I don't think they've (Notting Hill) been charging us. What I don't want is to get a huge bill in a couple of months time expecting immediate payment. I rather they took it every month as it would be easier to manage. I'm going to get in touch with them tomorrow and see what they say.

Yeah me too, a backlogue bill would not be good. Still, our accounts will be in credit so they should be able to transfer balances. I still haven't even had my council tax taken out yet, having set up the direct debit with Southwark at the end of November.

Talking of services - I do hope they're able to remove that coffee stain at the bottom of the stairs up at some stage. Doubt it. I didn't do it, but I tried to get it out the same day it was done, but to no avail.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 8.35am
My thermostat stops working at 35. It is too high....Try to set it at 25. Peter told me as well that the temperature makes no difference but I checked with a plumber friend of mine and he confirmed that should the temperature of the water. You will notice the heating will be on even if you set it up to 16.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 11.43pm
So you mean turn it down from 35 to 25 on the control panel in the utility room? My thermostat I never set above 35 as I'm told it never goes higher than 25 anyway.
Saying that, I accidentally left the living room on 25 all day today, heating switched on, got in from work, and it was no hotter than usual.
Sunday 11 January 2015 4.27pm
@Victor75 - Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work for me either.

My bill for December was 86 - for a two bed flat. Could someone with a system that they think is working please let me know what they got charged?

Ta
Wednesday 14 January 2015 8.46pm
My last bill was 26 for heating, for a one bed. But that was a steep increase on the month before, which might sound logical (colder weather, etc) but for the fact that the heating hardly bloody works! So what am I paying for?

I have kind of given up with it and concluded it just isn't very good. I will just have to make do or buy a halogen heater. The flat doesn't get freezing, at least there's that.
Wednesday 14 January 2015 9.26pm
Dear TDG1982
I do not live in your development but living nearby I have observed the construction with interest. It seems unfair that having bought your new home you have sort of given up on the heating system which of course you have paid for in the sale price. I am not up to speed with current construction/ contract law but at the present time the development should still be in its defects period. Is the development in the NHBC Scheme? Do you have a warranty? In summary I would be finding out who installed the heating system, getting independent advice and finding out what your rights are and building up a case - individually or as a group of residents- to go back to the contractor and developer.
Mellin
Current: 21 of 31

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions