London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa, The Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 22 of 31
Sunday 18 January 2015 8.38pm
Thanks Mellin- I agree we should be doing something together if we are all facing this problem. It's not right that we've all purchased a new property that has no working heating!

On another note, our boiler has started making terribly unhealthy noises - very loud and it doesn't sound normal. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sunday 18 January 2015 10.41pm
Dear Lena
I do not know if the following is of any interest but below are two links/ extract from NHHT's and NHBC's web sites.
Might be worth finding out what NHBC warranty covers and whether includes heating systems.
Mellin

http://www.nottinghillhousing.org.uk/shared-ownership/guide-to-buying-your-home/frequently-asked-questions
Does the property I'm buying have a builder's guarantee?
Most new homes we offer have a 10-year guarantee. This guarantee covers certain repairs, and most of our new homes are sold with an NHBC guarantee.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Warrantiesandcover/Homeowners/Sharedownershiphomes/
Tuesday 20 January 2015 9.26am
I'm all up for collective action, but not many others seemed to be reporting a problem. I'm just fed up of calling the guy out to be told everything is okay in a quite patronising way. My flat never goes above 15 degrees except when I've been cooking.

I've kept the doors and windows shut and even left it at 25 degrees for 24 hours and it's no hotter.
Tuesday 20 January 2015 2.38pm
We had Peter round this morning to look at our underfloor heating, and sort the VERY loud HIU.

He is sending an underfloor heating engineer, as he said immediately that the heating doesn't work in our bedrooms. He is trying the 'full power' test in our flat today (for lounge, WC and hallway), so I am hoping that it will have warmed up by the time we return from work today.

This is the first time I don't feel fobbed off, so will be interesting to see if the heating starts working following this. Will keep you posted!
Thursday 22 January 2015 3.43pm
JamesHunt wrote:
@Victor75 - Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work for me either.
My bill for December was £86 - for a two bed flat. Could someone with a system that they think is working please let me know what they got charged?

Ta

Hi All

With regards to heating cost, ours have been coming up really high too. We're monitoring it this month by changing the settings so will see. My bill in December cam to £70+ when we weren't there for over a week (so had turned it off) but also the thermostats were actually turned right down.

Anyway will see what the bill is, but I've been thinking that it's using up more power than I intend it to.
Thursday 22 January 2015 4.06pm
@NikD - thanks - interesting.

I have emailed NHHG again, and Kara spoke to United House. They have come back to say that as far as they are concerned, my system is fixed, so if they come out and it's working properly, I will be charged a call out fee.

I have decided to ask them out, because I'm pretty sure it's still not working.

Some of the thermostats don't click at all, and the ones that do click indicate the rooms are sub 15 degrees, which seems daft.

When I press 'Auto' on the Honeywell box setting, the flame logo comes on outside of the times I have specified for the programme, and if you look on the Energy-2 meter box thing, it indicates it's been drawing power all day (hence, I think, my big Dec bill).

Has anyone else got the same thing? Or similar? Given the call out charge has upped the anti, it'd be good to share information....

Thanks
Saturday 24 January 2015 11.07am
I'm scared of receiving my bill now!!

I'm actually reading this and thinking this isn't on. Multiple people including myself have reported issues with with their heating almost since moving in, they're still unresolved, and we're being told we'll be charged.

Last night I turned my living room up to 25 all night and this morning it's barely 10 degrees in there.

I've done everything they've said and it sounds like others have.

Meanwhile, where's the written guidance they promised us?

I'm all up for collective action. Happy to write on behald of us all. PM me.
Tuesday 27 January 2015 4.58pm
Hello everyone, just a quick update. I have asked to Notting Hill if there is any hope for the shared owners to use the gym, the answer is no for many reasons which, include:

1. We promised the private owners in the lease
2. The gym can't handle too many people.
3. Insurance does not cover
4. It is not in your service charge

and other stuff. For who is interested this is the entire email:

Any shared-ownership units are subject to affordability calculations and one element that feeds into this is the service charge. To ensure that the affordability calculations work for as many people as possible it is common for shared-ownership units to be excluded from the ‘non-essential’ services such as gyms, swimming pools, cinemas etc. This is initially why shared-owners are excluded from access to the gym.

Once we have excluded the shared owners from the gym and know how many private sale units will be using the gym, the gym is designed to meet the needs of that number of units. So we then can’t add back in the shared-owners because the gym would start to get crowded at peak times.

Also, because we know how many units have access to the gym from the beginning we sell to the private residents on that basis. i.e. We have told the private units at the point of sale how many units the gym is designed for and we have sold the units on that basis. This means that we now can not give the shared owners access to the gym because this would constitute misrepresentation by us to the private buyers.

The private buyers have a right to use the gym in their leases. Our insurance and Hallmarks insurance for operating the gym partially relies on the leaseholders actually having the right to use the gym under their lease. We are not going to (because of the previous point) but if we were going to give the shared-owners access to the gym we would need to vary their leases to give them the right to use the gym. This would cost several hundreds of pounds to do.
Tuesday 27 January 2015 10.35pm
The circle spa is good for me.
Wednesday 28 January 2015 2.15pm
Thanks for asking Victor. Funny that they mention the gym not being able to handle too many people, I walk past it many times and have never seen anyone using it.

Don't see how adding it to our service charges would mean several hundred pounds each...!
Current: 22 of 31

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions