London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa, The Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 24 of 31
Tuesday 17 February 2015 8.54am
Yeah it's fair to be honest- it's not really a commercial fail if the reason there are not enough members is because the members it is built for haven't even moved in- it's just empty because it needs to be ready from now I suppose.

Additionally, they actually pay for the gym and we don't, and given the previous explanation on space and usage and inclusion for it in the leases that Notting Hill gave, it's fair play really!
Tuesday 17 February 2015 9.12am
Hello everyone. I just realized my intercom is not working and hasn't been working for a while most probably. Notting Hill said it is a common issue, just wanted to make you aware of it.
Tuesday 17 February 2015 10.36am
Hi all,

Quick update on my heating issues for you – in case of use. As per earlier posts, I have been struggling with this.
I emailed NHHG to say I still didn’t think it was working, despite their visits, and they replied to say that as far as United House were concerned, it was working, and if they came out and there was no fault, I would incur a call out charge.

I was fairly sure it wasn’t working, so registered a defect. And, meanwhile, many thanks to Victor75 for popping in and looking it over – to check I wasn’t being daft.

Anyway, one day a couple of weeks ago flow stopped to one of the bedrooms – which was freezing. I checked, and the programme on the central thermostat was operating as normal. There was flow through three zones of the underfloor heating, but not the zone for that bedroom (as evidenced by the red knob on the top of the actuator being down).

I unscrewed the actuator for zone 4 (the bedroom that was cold), and the flow started immediately (as evidenced by the glass float valve). According to this troubleshooting guide: http://www.underfloorheating1.co.uk/blog/article/Underfloor_Heating_Troubleshooting it suggests there is an electrical problem.

(This also seems sensible if you think there is flow to three of the four zones, so the pump, exchanger etc must be working)

I sent all this info to NHHG who (slowly) agreed to send out an engineer. Sylvester came (who is lovely) and diagnosed that the entire wiring centre needed replacing. He also replaced the unbranded thermostats (which I thought were part of the problem as per previous posts) with Siemens ones that click at a sensible temperature on the dial.

All working so far – and according to the meter, my power consumption has dropped by over 80%. My bills were £100 a month for heating alone, which was part of what concerned me. (I know it’s got warmer recently, so that will have contributed too).

What has everyone else been getting billed (esp 2 beds) - I'd be interested to compare?

Anyway – my lessons (hopefully useful): persevere (this was my fifth visit over a couple of months); don’t worry about the ‘threat’ of charges – under NHBC guarantees they have to fix this sort of stuff; and Kara at NHHG is massively over-stretched, so sometimes going direct to the contractors can help.
Tuesday 17 February 2015 12.14pm
Hello James, happy you solved your problem. Are you able to tell me the model of the thermostat? The one which are currently installed are really bad, they seems to click at random temperatures.
Friday 27 February 2015 11.51am
Hi All

@Victor75 - We've been having issues with the intercom for the last two weeks. We registered the issue and apparently they fitted a part earlier this week. (nice of them to tell us) – so they asked that we check it over the weekend and get back to them if it doesn’t work – very helpful!

Their communications and update to us are not great. I don't know when work is being done, when they have finished, if things are fixed or not... But I suppose things are getting done.
Friday 27 February 2015 7.59pm
Is everyone in block A's water back on yet?
Friday 13 March 2015 12.44pm
Hello Everyone

I'm sure most of you have notice the ugly moisture stains appearing all around the blocks. I had some water leaking problems in my flat, and they seems to have been sorted out, but now I'm concerned on the appearance of the site, which starts to look not very well looked after. Has any of you have information about this problem?
Monday 23 March 2015 2.34pm
Does anyone know if the cordon around the unexploded bomb includes the Exchange?

Will we be able to get home later?!
Monday 23 March 2015 2.50pm
Great spot Lisa - I hadn't seen that.

I don't know - I am at work - but if it's The Grange as per the ES article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-called-in-after-unexploded-bomb-found-near-tower-bridge-bermondsey-10127342.html

then we are within 400m radius....

More important than my speculation - please can whoever gets home first please let everyone know?!

Ta
Current: 24 of 31

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions