London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Spa, The Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 28 of 31
Wednesday 20 May 2015 11.21pm
Oh, and astro turf? How tacky, as Nik said (nice to meet you you the other week btw).

Gord, I'd rather a patch of mud than astro turf! I'm sure the grass'll grow through eventually.
Thursday 21 May 2015 5.05pm
Guys, when they say Astroturf i, I think what they mean by astroturf is faux grass, which looks amazing all year round, needs no maintenance whatsoever, and is extremely soft. See for example on John Lewis' website:

http://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/easigrass?intcmp=garden_conservatoryc60000522_block12_easigrass_artificial_grass_16022015

The faux grasss would look and feel as grass does all year round, and it needs no maintenance, thus reducing our service charge and gardening costs.

So hopefully we don't end up with something worse. I mean what else is there apart from grass or fake grass? We may well end up with a patch of mud as TDG1982 says :(

Maybe this highlights that we need some sort of official group for people to vote, or voice their views before we write to them- maybe we could make a facebook group ans advertise it in the concierge for residents to join.

(I admit, if it is actually astrotuf this is bad, but I am quite certain it is faux grass, as they have used this before in other of the properties they manage)...may be best to clarify :/
Thursday 21 May 2015 11.37pm
There's nothing like real grass - smell, feel, sound, and last but not least, appearance! I appreciate other views but astroturf is ludicrous :) This ain't some youth club, it's a communal garden.
Thursday 21 May 2015 11.39pm
I would also like a cow to graze in it. But that's more of long term aim, when we have the grass.
Wednesday 27 May 2015 9.20am
But we don't know whether it was astroturf in the literal hockey pitch sense of things, or high quality faux grass, like in the link I sent as an example.

In addition, as a result of the letter, haven't Hallmark stated they are looking at alternatives to real grass as well as faux grass(or)'astroturf' now? Looks like you might have to go for a stroll in the park to ignite your senses.
Wednesday 27 May 2015 10.24am
I agree that perhaps a nice alternative might work - not astroturf - but something of decent quality. I think it's quite evident that area just doesn't get the sun and I'd rather have some kind of greenery rather than mud. In any case I'd rather see our service charge then go into something else (like replacing the ground floor carpet for example!). But let's see what they can do...
Wednesday 27 May 2015 9.43pm
The grass was seeming to grow through, the leaves on the trees weren't out until May don't forget. Then they decided to get the work men in to do nothing much (as far as I can see) and turn everything upside down, which'll leave patches on the grass no doubt. And they've still not removed scaffolding, assuming they're finished. Not quite sure.
Monday 8 June 2015 5.44pm
Hi guys,

I just found out yesterday that there is this forum. It was me who sent the note about the Astroturf.

I, and a few other neighbours, actually saw a sample of it and, while it may be good quality, it is and looks, in fact, like artificial plastic. At the end of the day, we are in the UK, grass does grow anywhere if more or less maintained well.

Anyway, I am pleased to say that we have for now blocked it as many people have complained.

However, it seems like they have for now also decided to do very little and wait to see what happens in the next few weeks. I and a few neighbours whose email address I had, have called for a meeting with Sara to let them know that we want them to take action and improve the courtyard. At the end of the day, we already pay a high service charge and we have never seen a gardener in that courtyard or around it.
I will keep you updated what comes from this meeting, where we will also ask about the carpet situation.

I agree with the comments that we need some kind of common representation where we can discuss these issues and vote and come up with a united voice. For that, we need NHH and Hallmark to actually allow us to influence their decisions as well.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the conversation but it would probably be nice to meet at one point (maybe in the nice flourishing courtyard) and decide how we could create this group.

Anna
Thursday 18 June 2015 11.37am
Hello,
I agree a meeting in the courtyard would prob be the best idea - if we put up a notice in the hallway in advance then the other residents who aren't on the forum can know about it too. How about a Saturday next month?
Thursday 18 June 2015 11.50am
You might find this useful: http://arma.org.uk/downloader/f18.pdf

Guidance for forming a residents' association which would probably be a good forum through which to formally address these kinds of concerns. Would allow non-users of this site to participate as well.
Current: 28 of 31

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions