London SE1 community website

Permission for alterations to a leasehold property frustrations!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 1 May 2017 12.58pm
Thanks for your reply connie. At least the waiting period seems to be shorter than previously. best of luck with your renovation works.
Monday 18 March 2019 12.16pm
Following on from these messages, we are in a fairly similar situation and wanting to apply for retrospective approval from the council for replacement of a rubbish kitchen and bathroom (like for like positioning), has anyone had this approval before? Do the council come over and inspect?
Wednesday 3 April 2019 2.09pm
Yes we applied for retrospective approval, and yes they did inspect. No issues for us
Thursday 2 May 2019 6.12pm
Hello,

I'm in the middle of purchasing an ex-council property in a block owned by Southwark Council. It is a ground entry spilt level maisonette.

Needs fully renovating - bathroom / kitchen / boiler etc;.

In addition I want to remove the wall in-between the kitchen / living / staircase area.

Council policy is that no structural load bearing walls can be removed. I need to confirm if the wall is actually load bearing with an engineer, but the joist are running perpendicular to the wall which suggests it is (or so my builder thinks). However there is also a door within the wall so not sure what that means?

My builder thinks the council are confusing load bearing wall in relation to the wider block with load bearing within my actual personal unit. Obviously the wall is bearing a load, the joists from the floor above, but most likely is not a load bearing wall for the structure of the block.

The builder has recommended steel beam etc once the engineer has made calculations etc.

I have seen other almost identical properties within similar blocks within Southwark council that have had the same alterations made to them and have had consent approved (retrospectively) with building control approvals.

Perhaps more info will be in the lease from the freeholder?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions