London SE1 community website

council flat - shall I pay for upgrading or should council pay

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 August 2017 12.28am
Hello Southwark residents!

So here is my story and questions:

I've been living in a converted Victorian council flat since 2003, I'm on the top floor plus one other below, sharing a communal entrance of the property.
The flat floor, wood ones are not soundproofed, actually one day I lifted one board up and discovered that is full of rubble and dirt! So during all these years of new tenants moving in and out in the flat downstairs I've heard all sorts of things: beating up, loud making out ..., praying, snoring, loud talking, you name it! While I understand everyone is entitled to carry on with their lives, all of the above happened at unsoxiablw hours, after 11 pm and beyond....btw, in winter time I have a problem with mice running sound freely under my floors. Southwark said that they would sort mice issue by installing some kind of grates, can't remember the technical name but won't do anything about soundproofing. In some cases I was able to discuss some of these issues with previous tenants but not everyone is forthcoming or respectful.
Last year I applied for the right to buy then changed my mind as the costs to upgrading floors and all is very expensive.
So is the council responsible for keeping the flat in good conditions? It's an old building so walls for example are crumbling down and I can't possibly do anything about it....also they said they'll lay grates(?) Under floors to prevent mice from entering but never done anything about it. I see other people flats being "renewed": fire proof doors, secure doors at main entrance, double glazed windows.
The fire safety risk assessment team , last time they've come round said communal areas of my building is "at considerable risk of fire!"😣 I feel fortunate to have a roof over my head but at the same time feel as if living in a converted flat means the council doesn't feel obliged to keep place in a good state and most importantly safe.
Shall I just pay for everything, Chase council (waste of time, I reckon as I've tried) or seek legal aid?
Thanks for the feedback!

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions