London SE1 community website

Bathroom renovation,seeking consent or not from Southwark council?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 August 2019 2.15pm
Hi all,

We bought a month ago and we want to renovate our bathroom completely, but it will be a like for like replacement,change the floors thorughout the flat and have it painted. I read it takes a long time for the council to issue a consent,like 6 months or longer, so I would like to know if anyone did this without seeking consent. Would it be a problem if we sell the flat in the future?

Thanks.
Friday 23 August 2019 4.05pm
You do not need approval for any of that.
Monday 2 September 2019 4.05pm
If you are a leaseholder with Southwark, you do need their consent. Even for a like for like change to the bathroom (and even for a mere change of tap).
I paid the fee online and then they told me I had to send them a detailed quote from the builder (who needs to be insured) and the Council will visit the flat before and after the works are completed. My neighbour was told if he changed the fittings from a bathtub to a shower, he needed to keep the bathtub fittings...
Also when you are in the process of selling your flat, the solicitors will ask you for all permissions to the changes you made. My neighbour is struggling as some changes were made before they bought their flat.
Also, be careful with changing the flooring, it is not always accepted to change from carpets to floorboards due to the noise nuisance.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions