London SE1 community website

Recommended lawyer for SE1 block

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 10 August 2006 4.39pm

I'm looking for any recommendations you may have for a solicitor. They need to know about property law, and be based in SE1 or anywhere in central-ish London..and not be totally exorbitant.

I and several of fellow flat owners in an SE1 block need a savvy lawyer to check our leases and work out if our managing agent is charging us unnecessarily for extra work on the building.

Many thanks if you can help.
Thursday 10 August 2006 8.22pm
Have you tried the lawyers at the Waterloo Law Centre? Open Thursday evenings - very friendly.
Thursday 10 August 2006 8.26pm
That does look good for some quick feedback on our situation, thanks very much for the suggestion.

But I think we will need letterwriting and the growling services of a paid-for lawyer as well. So if anyone has any other suggestions they would be much appreciated.
Friday 11 August 2006 8.14am
Jackson Nokes at Royal Oak yard did our conveyancing at a decent price, see also:
Friday 11 August 2006 8.32am

I have been trying to do what you are suggesting and I know that several people would be willing to contribute financially to combat what I think are some very iffy moves by S B C. There must be some legal representation somewhere that would be willing to help, I have threatened to send in Auditors, as is our right.

Friday 11 August 2006 9.02am
ADT wrote:

They did mine as well and were as sound as a pound as far as I can tell!
Friday 11 August 2006 10.39am
Thanks for the above suggestions. Looking on the Law Society pages (a link from the earlier thread) I realise we are looking for a lawyer with specialist knowledge of residential landlord and tenant issues (not conveyancing.) If you can recommend a lawyer with this specialism I'd be super grateful.

Friday 11 August 2006 11.11am
Have you tried Lthe Leasehold Advisory Service? They might be able to point you in the right direction.
Friday 11 August 2006 11.52am
There's also the Southwark Leaseholders Association, but I'm not sure if they have a website. have a big database of LVT decisions - some of these include details of solicitors attending etc which might be good. You might also be able to find cases which are similar to your own.

My experience of SBC was that they were pretty badly organised prior to about 2004, and then their Leasehold Management Unit got a lot more professional. I was able to get them to waive Section 20 major works charges for work done from 1998-2003 as they had not followed the correct consultation procedure, but work since then has been done correctly.

All that said, if you want to challenge the regualr annual service charge, rather than a mjor works charge, I get the impression you have a much tougher fight on your hands.
Friday 11 August 2006 1.24pm
ARLA should also be able to help with that and your managing agent is obliged to make their accounts available to you, you should be able to make an appointment and go and check their expenditure in person
Unit 10, 151-153, Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3HA
Tel: 020 7357 9494
Are a good firm of lawyers they should be able to help
what exactly have they been doing anyway
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions