London SE1 community website

Peverel OM - Shared ownership at Salamanca Place, Albert Embankment - 146% service charge increase!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Sunday 17 June 2007 9.54pm
Our lovely housing association (beginning with N) started action with the LVT against the managing agents on our behalf and asked us to be patient. They have now dropped this action (without telling us). The bill given to us has now been reduced to 1900 (still 150/month - for 'affordable' housing).

I would advise anyone to avoid NHHG shared ownership, and any block or estate serviced by the hideous Peverel organisation...
Monday 18 June 2007 6.29am
Surprise surprise! (not).
Monday 18 June 2007 7.16am
The idea of requiring developers to provide housing for shared ownership as part of a S106 is relatively new. There is a lot of political interest in making affordable housing work. Those politicians will not want this particular way of delivering affordable housing to fail as a result of high service charges and poor resale values.

Note:
Gordon Brown spoke about the need for affordable housing in his first speach as Prime Minister elect.
Ken Livingstone has affordable housing as a basic part of his London Plan and has a reputation for supporting large dense private developments in Central London as long as they deliver 50% affordable housing.

You would do best if you had a Residents Assn. You only need one meeting to which you invite local Councillors, MP, the Housing Assn and the Managing Agent. Have a constitution ready. Plus a plan of action and 12 neighbours ready to stand as a committee. The rest can be done by email.

You are then in a good position to approach those policy makers who want affordable housing to work; housing people within the GLA; regulation people within the Housing Corporation; and the Low Cost Housing people within Communities and Local Government (Ruth Kelly's department). If you really are excluded from a number of facilities, you should explain this, and say what you do get for 150 a month. You could also take a standard low/average wage (25,000?), and then deduct housing costs (mortgage and rent), Council tax, and service dcharge and calculate this as a percentage of net salary. If it is over 40% there will be concern. Over 45% and I think there are some real risks should interest rates rise, housing prices fall or the employment market falter. Given the number of recent stories about mortgage rate hikes you might even get press interest.

Good luck,

Sarah
Thursday 21 June 2007 10.34pm
Thank you Sarah.
Sunday 12 August 2007 3.43pm
Its a shame that there isn,t a site for all anti-Peverel people to get together and compare notes.It seems to me we could build up quite a gathering.Peverel need to be shown up for the way they treat residents.I live in a retirement block of flats,and our service charges have gone by 23% in two years.Some of the residents are over ninety,and I am sure the must find it hard to meet rising costs and did not expect it to rise so high when they bought their flats.
Sunday 12 August 2007 7.47pm
If you want to set up such a society, believe me I'll join! Peverel are the pits.
Monday 13 August 2007 1.26pm
Hi Jackie,
Well if there is enough interest might give it a go.
Monday 13 August 2007 2.22pm
>>It is quite popssible that mainting one of the
>>areas Georgian houses would amount to an average of 5,000 a year

But that's inside and out. By the time you've spent 15k on a new roof with a 50 year life, 1000 for painting every five years that leaves you with a lot of money left over for the inside of the house.
yas
Monday 13 August 2007 9.08pm
thewatchman wrote:
Hi Jackie,
Well if there is enough interest might give it a go.

Hey watchman! I can guarantee there would be interest from people in our building on Grange Road. Approx 60 flats (some owner occupied although mainly rental) and I'd guess approx 20 of these owners would be prepared to join such group.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 6.21am
Well, let's get the ball rolling. Are any of you coming to our Summer Social at my flat on Bank Holiday Monday? Try and make it, and we'll know eachother's faces and can have an inaugural bitch. And fix a get together for action.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions