London SE1 community website

Peverel OM - Shared ownership at Salamanca Place, Albert Embankment - 146% service charge increase!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Tuesday 18 September 2007 3.38pm
Hello,
I wonder if you can help me. A friend of mine is interested in buying a flat from Notting Hill at 1 Salamanca Place but he has had problems with Notting Hill as the person who is dealing with it there is never around and i believe there is a dispute with the service charge. Also he has been told that most of the people on that floor are made up of council tenants? It doesn't sound like a very fair system to me and i'm a little concerned as the person who is selling has been honest and said that they have had problems with some of the council tenants. Andy advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tuesday 18 September 2007 5.58pm
Hi there,

Around half of the residents are renting their properties - nominated to Notting Hill by Lambeth Council. The other half (ish) are shared owners who purchased their flats as Key Workers. There have been some problems with anti-social behaviour (e.g. graffiti, litter) from one or two tenants. Notting Hill are aware of these issues, some of which are still ongoing.

The apartments themselves are lovely. Notting Hill are not very efficient, and the managing agents, Peverel are not very good. There is a residents' association who campaign on our behalf. There are some very friendly people in the block, too.

The service charge issue is still unresolved. Notting Hill claim that the reduced bill will be with us very shortly - however we have been waiting for this situation to be resolved since December.
Wednesday 19 September 2007 9.44am
Many thanks for responding to my post. It seems rather unfair to me to mix people who buy and pay so much for the service charge with people who don't pay a penny as i assume Lambeth pays it for them. I wish they would rent one out to me, as a professional,I still can't seem to afford anything in London!
Are these people very unpleasant? I'm sorry for the questions but i would hate for my friend to have problems as the entire row opposite him are council tenants. Also, the communal area looked really dirty and it gave the impression of having dodgy people hanging around the place at all hours of the day and we were told drug dealers hang around the place too. It really is such a shame as the location is perfect and the flats are lovely but it must be a nightmare putting up with unpleasant characters and wouldn't you have a problem if you wanted to sell up?
x
Thursday 20 September 2007 9.00pm
Hi Pinky P

I also live in the block and there has been a few problems with a couple of tenants. From your observations you seem pretty well informed as to the problems and the state of the building in places.
Yes we have a few tenants that have been problematic and sadly Nottinghill appear powerless to do anything.
One flat has been raided several time by the police but to no avail. However things on that front appear to have calmed down.

I would say at present that the service charge is still an issue and it has gone from 500 to 2200 in two years!

Due to the locaton of the flats their value will be generally secure - its great to hear big ben on a quiet evening! But I would advise you ask nottinhill if there are problem residents - they have a duty of care to tell you if this is the case.

There is an active residents association too and the block is very friendly and the mix of 'council tenant' is not really an issue. But there have been undesirables entering the building and damaging it - this may or may not be related to certain residents letting them in.

Most people are concerned about the incredible increases in service charges - which are on a par with some building with swimming pools and gyms etc! Paying the equivalent of nearly 2months mortgage in servie charges can be right! And makes resale and rental propositions unattractive.

The potential for this to continue to rise way above what would be deemed reasonable is worrying and not resolved and Nottinghill again are not actively persuing this (despite their latest glossy magazine saying 100% of customers get a break down of service charges - (we have been waiting 2 years! The communal areas are not in the best of shape and as such many resident wonder where the money is going - alas the managing agents are in a bit of a mess. The 3rd building manager in 2.5years has left !!!!

So all I can conclude is do lot of research where the flat is (which floor) and ensure nottinghill agree in writing that you enter into any purchase based on a true and explicit account of the issues that they are dealing with.

Anyway if you are still reading this. I hope what ever you choose to do - it goes well.
Friday 21 September 2007 7.05am
Ah HA! I see the word "Peverel" and can only say - Be Prepared. Their service charge policy is iniquitous. They are out and out robbers.
Wednesday 24 October 2007 3.36pm
I keep seeing "Peverel" mentioned on this site,but does anyone know if they have ever been beaten.There must surely be someone who has taken them to task over their high service charges and have won,If so I would love to know when and how they did it.
Saturday 27 October 2007 2.26pm
Hi Campcrusader,
Do print out your message and send it as 'Private and Confidential' to Ken L. and the Guardian as proof of the drawbacks in shared ownership schemes run by certain boroughs and bulding developers such as B.Homes. Where is the fairness to ask a key worker to pay a service charge over 2,000 pounds!
Monday 29 October 2007 12.00pm
Has anyone tried contacting someone like Watchdog on the BBC? I'm sure they would be able to find no shortage of complaints about Peveral. I myself moved out of a Peveral managed block a few years back - the huge increace in their charges each year was one of the reasons, it went from around 500 to over 3000 in about 7 years.
Thursday 10 April 2008 7.48am
Brian Paddick - who lives at Salamanca Place - has just mentioned the high service charge for the shared ownership units in the development during the mayoral debate on LBC radio.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 10 April 2008 9.42am
Unfortunately, Peverel are now getting bigger and bigger having bought up all sorts of smaller management companies. It's going to have to be referred to the Ombudsman or the Monopolies guys at this rate.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions