A derelict Presbyterian chapel on Borough Road will be restored as part of a scheme announced by London South Bank University for two major new buildings on its Southwark Campus.
The university has announced the names of seven companies commissioned to undertake design work for the two new buildings.
The current Student Union on Keyworth Street
The derelict chapel on Borough Road
The Presbyterian chapel, which dates from 1846, now is in very poor condition and has long featured on English Heritage's Buildings at Risk register. A previous failed scheme envisaged the building's incorporation into new premises for the National Film and Television School.
Vice Chancellor Professor Deian Hopkin, who sees the appointments as a major milestone, emphasised the partnership aspects of the schemes: "For the last three years this University has been working to ensure that it serves the needs of London and its citizens. It is very appropriate, therefore, that major themes of these buildings are health, social care, physical well-being and teacher training, all things that London needs so much. We have consulted widely and there is general agreement that the co-location of our provision makes admirable sense. We look forward to work closely with our partners to deliver sustainable buildings that will transform our capacity to develop the future workforce while at the same time creating an exciting new range of facilities for the community as well as our own students."