62-year-old Jean Say has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his eight-year-old daughter Regina and 10-year-old son Rolls at his home in Empire Square.
Shortly after 8am on the morning of Sunday 13 February Say called 999 and told the police operator he had killed his children.
He then called his wife and told her he had killed her children. He also told her to come and collect their bodies.
Minutes later police officers arrived at 33 Empire Square to find the bodies of the two children in their beds – their throats had been cut and Rolls had also suffered a serious head injury. Both children also suffered defence wounds.
In 2008 Mrs Say and the children had moved out of the family home in Empire Square and Jean was allowed custody of Rolls and Regina at the weekends.
At the time of the murders Say was due to be evicted from the Empire Square property. He had lost his entitlement to the flat as a consequence of his wife and children moving out of the property.
"Say's actions were cruel, brutal and abhorrent and the sentence he received today reflects the gravity of what he has done," says Detective Inspector Paul Clack from the Met's child abuse command.
"It cannot of course wipe away the terrible loss of these two young children. Nor can it in any way compensate for the unimaginable loss suffered by Regina and Rolls' mother who has displayed great courage, dignity and strength throughout this ordeal.
"I would like to pay tribute to her and the close friends and family who have helped support her. I would also like to request on her behalf that her privacy is respected through this incredibly difficult period."