London SE1 website team

Old Kent Road fatal collision ‘not suspicious’ say detectives

Detectives investigating the death of Michael Paxman in Old Kent Road earlier this month do not believe anyone else contributed to the collision that caused his death.

Old Kent Road fatal collision ‘not suspicious’ say detectives
Michael Paxman

Michael died following a fire in his car when it was involved in a collision with a bus stop in the Old Kent Road at approximately 2.27am on Sunday 11 January.

Officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended the scene and the fire was extinguished. Michael was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police know that Michael left his home in Rotherhithe in the early hours of Sunday 11 January. He was driving a black Audi RS4 with registration number KE07 HWH.

The investigation has accounted for Michael's whereabouts from leaving home until when he was involved in the collision that led to his death at 2.27am.

Through CCTV, witness statements and specialist forensic tests, police say they are confident that there was no one else involved in Michael's death.

Police say that there was no incident, altercation or anyone following Michael in his black Audi as he left the Elephant & Castle and drove over the flyover at the Bricklayers Arms.

Specialist tests and forensic examination of the two holes found in Michael's car have found no evidence to suggest that these were bullet holes.

Detective Inspector Dave Reid: "I would like to thank all those people who responded to our appeals for information, witnesses and footage.

"A number of people rushed to try and help Michael at the time his car was in collision with the bus stop and caught on fire. Those were brave attempts to help.

"We have been helped hugely by the footage and information provided by the public, and that has allowed us to clarify the chain of events leading up to the collision.

"I said that this was something I wanted to achieve for his family, and I am grateful for the assistance of people in the vicinity that night which has allowed us to do so.

"Michael was the father of two young children. His family and friends are devastated by his death. We will now work to support the coroner, for the inquest into Michael's death."

A post-mortem examination was held at Greenwich Mortuary on 13 January, which was unable to determine a cause of death at that stage.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you

This article on a map


Related forum discussions

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network