A-16 year-old boy has been found guilty of murdering schoolboy David Idowu on the Tabard Gardens Estate earlier this year.
The jury returned the guilty verdict at the Kingston Crown Court following a two week trial.
At around 5pm on Tuesday 17 June David, aged 14, was at an organised football game taking place on the artificial pitch at Tabard Gardens when he was approached by the 16-year-old. Without warning or provocation he pulled out a knife and stabbed David once.
The wound punctured his heart, but David ran away chased by his attacker before collapsing on Becket Street. CCTV recovered from the area showed David's attacker laughing and smiling as he chased after him.
Members of the public came to David's assistance and gave him first aid. His heart stopped twice at the scene before he was taken to the Royal London Hospital by air ambulance.
Despite intensive medical intervention David never came out of his coma and he died three weeks later.
When the 16-year-old was arrested two days later he was wearing a white top similar to the one seen in CCTV worn by the offender. Subsequent forensic analysis of the top identified blood spots containing David's DNA profile.
Detective Inspector Mick Norman, from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command team who investigated the murder, said: "This has been a very tough investigation. Despite the fact there were a large number of eye witnesses to the stabbing, many of whom knew the defendant, very few were prepared to name the person responsible or assist the investigation.
"However, a number of young people did come forward and this helped us identify David's attacker which proved crucial. I would like to thank them for doing the right thing to make sure justice was done.
"David's family have been deeply affected by his senseless murder and I hope that this verdict can bring some peace to them."
Simon Hughes MP has supported the Idowu family closely since David's death.
“Although nothing can undo the tragedy of David's death, at least today David's family, friends and neighbours have seen justice done," says the North Southwark and Bermondsey MP.
"I was with David's family again this last weekend and I pay tribute to their courage, dignity and faith. We will all now wait for the sentence.
"But the lesson of David's death should go out today and every day: London and Britain have had enough of knife crime.
"We must be determined to make youth violence history. We must do everything to make sure our young people are not lost to violence in the same way in years ahead.”
The 16-year-old will be sentenced on Tuesday 16 December.