London SE1 community website

Paul Deya found guilty of killing his three-year-old son in Bermondsey

London SE1 website team

32-year-old Paul Deya, who killed his three-year-old son in a frenzied knife attack at their home on the Lynton Estate in Bermondsey, was on Friday found guilty of murder.

Paul Deya murdered his son at their home on the Lynton Estate in Bermondsey on 23 November 2009.

He was also found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent against his wife on the same date.

The Old Bailey heard how in the months before the toddler's death the relationship between Deya and his wife had deteriorated and they had agreed to a period of separation.

It was agreed that Deya would move out, leaving his wife with the children in the family home.

On the day of the murder his wife gave their children breakfast before leaving them at home with their father whilst she went to work.

Between 4pm and 4.30pm she received a text message from her husband which read "I wish you all the best."

She drove home where she found the front door had been bolted from inside. Receiving no response at the door, she climbed through the bathroom window into the flat which was in darkness.

She walked to the doorway of her son's bedroom where she saw him lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Deya was also lying on the floor, bare-chested. When he saw his wife, he grabbed a kitchen knife which was by his side and chased her out of their flat.

He caught up with his wife on some external stairs where he slashed her ear causing a deep cut.

The woman continued to run down the stairs but Deya returned to the flat and shut the door behind him.

The first police officers to arrive at the scene found a woman suffering from shock. She told them her husband had killed their children.

The officers took the keys to the flat from and let themselves in.

Inside they found the lifeless body of the little boy; he had been stabbed in the abdomen and throat.

In the master bedroom they found the couple's other child unharmed.

Deya was taken to hospital and treated for self-inflicted stab and slash wounds to his neck and abdomen.

Officers examining the flat later found a hand-written note from Deya to his wife in which he made various accusations towards her.

The note also set out the disposal of his property and instructions for the burial of his body, and those of his children.

"I am pleased that the jury have found Paul Deya guilty of the murder of his son today," says Detective Inspector Keith Braithwaite from the Metropolitan Police's child abuse investigation command.

"He attempted to justify his actions by making accusations against his wife and blaming failings in their marriage for the course of conduct he undertook.

"I would like to thank the victim's mother for her courage and dignity throughout what was a complex investigation."

Deya will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on 4 February.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.