London SE1 community website

Hairdryer blamed for blaze at Great Dover Street student halls

London SE1 website team

More than 200 students had to evacuate their halls of residence after a fire which is believed to have been caused by a hairdryer.

A student discovered the fire after returning to his room in the King's College London residence in Great Dover Street in the early hours of Thursday morning and called the London Fire Brigade.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers attended the fire, which damaged a section of the student's room.

Crews found a hairdryer plugged in and switched on at the plug but fire investigators have sent the dryer for further analysis to determine exactly what happened.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We are still investigating this fire to determine the exact circumstances but this is a good opportunity to remind people how important it is to ensure that hairdryers and straighteners are turned off at the plug as well as on the appliance."

The brigade was called at 2.44am and the fire was under control at 3.55am.

Fire crews from Dowgate, Old Kent Road, Dockhead and Lambeth fire stations were called to the scene.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.