London SE1 community website

Electric heater warning after Bath Terrace blaze

London SE1 website team

Firefighters are urging people to take extra care when using electric heaters after a fire at a block of flats on Bath Terrace last month.

Electric heater warning after Bath Terrace blaze

A smoke alarm alerting the flat's occupants to the fire and two people left before the brigade arrived on Friday 28 April.

A further two people also evacuated from a neighbouring home. No injuries were reported.

Part of a bedroom on the second floor was damaged by fire. Smoke damaged the rest of the flat leaving it uninhabitable.

The fire was accidental and is believed to have been caused by an electrical heater being placed on a bed and becoming covered by bedding.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Dowgate, Plumstead and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene.

Dan Daly, assistant commissioner for fire safety at the London Fire Brigade, said: "It's tempting to pull heaters close to you when the temperature drops but blankets and duvets or other material getting too close to heaters is a dangerous fire risk.

"Shockingly over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.

"People need to make sure their portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture."

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.