I booked a table THREE days in advance. When we arrived, we had to wait for over 45 minutes on the stairs. The manager was very irritable when I asked nicely when I thought we would be seated and when I pointed out we had booked a table, he snapped that they were very busy.
The food was mediocre at best and the wine not much better. We were sat beside a hen party who were squealing as loud as they possibly could ever few minutes with the result that we could barely speak to each other. We finished our tasteless meal as quickly as we could and despite the cheap prices, it was a huge waste of money.
I had the worst service ever endured - after a bottle of red wine was broken by our waitress, and a lasagne spilt over me, you would expect at least an apology from either the waitress or the manager.
Neither was forthcoming - when we requested one from the manager he said he was too busy supervising the clearing up to apologise - it is clearly too difficult to him to say one word - sorry.
Whilst the decor is rustic and authentically italian, the service is appalling, the food easily forgettable (although to be fair, the main courses might have been amazing had they not been dropped on us) and the manager's arrogance unforgiveable. The toilets are also horrible.
I will never return to this restaurant and would recommend everyone else stays well away. There are too many other good restaurants in this area to go to one that relies on microwaved food, over priced wine and an affable host who's personality turns to ice as soon as there is an issue.
- one of the mussels in the Insalata di Mare special actually fizzed on my tongue, it was so off
- No bread arrived until we had finished our the first course
- We had to remind the patrone of our wine order to be served
- One of the two waitresses who served us had no English whatsoever
- The other waitress had an unfortunate lisp which sprayed saliva on my arm
- my spag aglio/olio was piping hot on the inside, cool on the outside and on a cold plate : CSI microwave.
- My capuccino was undrinkable
- I was not offered the opportunity to check the bill before entering my PIN in the machine. (Much huffing and puffing by the manager when I insisted on this , but not before he had studiously refused to listen to what I was objecting to)
A shocking experience and, as you may guess, I will not be returning.
I see that others have had a better experience here....it is hard to imagine my visit being worse.
Where an establishment has changed hands or rebranded, reviews on this page may refer to a previous operator of the same premises.
The reviews on this page are the personal opinions of the writers and not the publishers of this website.
If you feel that this page contains inappropriate material, please let us know.
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up