The French spirit takes Bankside by storm with a week of cultural and gastronomic indulgence, ending in a traditional 'street' party in celebration of France's National Day.
Bankside Bastille Day festival sees an extravaganza of all things French and more with a French food focus at cosmopolitan Borough Market, restaurant Bastille Day menu specials, discounts and complimentary goodies, Wine tours and tastings, discounted Attraction entries, Boules and Cycling activities, 'street' entertainment, exhibitions, film-screenings, musical recitals and more.
Every 14th of July the streets of France come alive in celebration of the 'storming' of the Bastille and the birth of La Republique 1789.
Once again the party atmosphere 'French style' comes to Borough Market and for the first time to Bankside Mix with live music, street entertainment, theatrical spectacles, outdoor eating, drinking, dancing and singing and a traditional finale.
Party-goers are encouraged to dress in the spirit of the event, the best attired, as judged by our promenading mystery celebrity guest, will win a deluxe meal for two at La Cave Restaurant.
• Bal Populaire 5.30pm-11.30pm. Borough Market and environs and Bankside Mix by Tate Modern
• Bankside's First Traditional 14th July Waiters' Race 5.30pm Bankside Mix
• Boules Tournament 2pm-5.pm Park Street/Maiden Lane junction. (Boules for novices and aficionados. Launch of Borough and Bankside Summer Boules)
• Living Kitchen - French Cuisine demonstrations. PM. Jubilee Market of Borough Market
• Herbal Discoveries -Dispelling the Absinthe Myth. 2pm-5pm Urban Physic Garden.
• Musical Recitals 3.15pm & 5.30pm Southwark Cathedral
• Gastronomic Screenings - History of French Cuisine 6pm & 7pm Cathedral Refectory
• Liaisons Dangereuses - Romance in French and British culture 6pm-7.30pm The Wapping Project Bankside
• Othello's Crime de Passion chamber of terror - Revisiting Shakespeare's Othello 7.30pm-9pm Rose Theatre (discounted entry)
• Tour de France, Tour de Bankside. 7.30pm-9pm. Borough Market, Bankside Mix cycle circuit
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up