Elephant & Castle's new leisure centre - with six-lane swimming pool - is due to open in spring 2015. But what should it be called?
"We are looking forward to being able to finally put a name to this fantastic new facility, which will be a great addition to the Elephant & Castle area for all its residents," said Cllr Veronica Ward, Southwark's cabinet member for culture, leisure, sport and volunteering.
"Our leisure centres around the borough play an important role in helping Southwark residents keep active and get involved in something new; from meeting people through an energising new class to spending a day at the pool as a family."
When it opens in spring 2015, the leisure centre will provide a six-lane 25-metre swimming pool; learner pool; four-court sports hall, gym and indoor cycle studio, two exercise class and dance studios plus a creche and cafe.
The new centre is under construction on the rear half of the former leisure centre site. The front half was sold by the council to developer Lend Lease for its One The Elephant tower of luxury flats.
The council is inviting residents to select from seven possible names for the leisure centre and welcomes alternative suggestions too.
The council's seven proposed names are:
• Aqua – Water related, ties in to swimming pools and ancient rivers in the area.
• Castle – Part of Elephant & Castle.
• Chaplin – To celebrate Charlie Chaplin, the famous comic and actor who was born and raised in the area
• Chaucer – Named after Geoffrey Chaucer, author of the Canterbury Tales who had many links to the area
• Circuit – Relates to training and sports
• Faraday – To celebrate Michael Faraday, the famous scientist who was born in Newington
• Volts – Relates to energy and electrical movement
The council's online poll is open until 10 January 2014.
Once the online poll has closed, the final choice of name will be made by a panel including council leader Peter John, cabinet members Veronica Ward and Fiona Colley and senior council officers Deborah Collins and Stephen Platts.